IGC Europe review

WE held IGCs in Europe in 2018 and 2019. Here are some of the details and memories.
willem

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:09 am

Hi, first of all the venue is wonderful , I think in the past it was a monastery,second I could only make it for a day (saturday),I am a member from the beginning of the site and decided to go to thank Neil for where I am now with guitar and this was my chance to do that in person. I entered the room where they had already started the day, I was very nervous but after the very very big hug I felt very welcome.

After a while he invited me to sit beside him and introduced me to the other campers who met the night before, of course he ask me what I learned and play something,I believe I started with ''blackbird'' and immediately fixed some rhythmic errors,after that I played one verse of ''Angie'' by the Rolling Stones(Neil played a long),I did not played the solo's and maybe there should be something to fix there also but that did'nt happen.I also played ''Norwegian wood'' but I screwed up with the melody notes and because I also want to sing it Neil told me to strum it on the singing parts and play the melody notes on the other parts.I think this was in the class about performing for other people,,pffff

A nice happening was a little yoga class were almost everbody felt a sleep hahaha. I remember some movements with the arms and use it now in a warming up..

In between classes lunch and diner we could meet and talk with the other campers and totally suprised it came to a collaboration with someone and decided to do ''Teach Your Childeren'' wich he did not know and I explaned how I played it,he picked it up very quickly and we practised during the day with help from Vanessa
(thanks for that)..

For me guitar playing is just a hobby ,so now and then I play with some friends and sometimes suprise them with how I play,the last two years I had to deal with some illness and guitar playing was totally gone ,I even wanted to sell my guitars,with the help from Family,friends and this one day camp the inspiration is totally back.

I think everybody who wants to take guitar playing to a next level please decide to go to a IGC Calfornia or Europe.

I am very glad I could thank Neil for the lessons and build this site,of course I am glad too meeting up with some people who think in the same direction,guitar that is,,making music...

Thanks
Willem B)

sandysue

Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:38 am

Hi Willem.

That’s great that you had such a fun time at IGC Europe. It looked like a fun group of people with lots of professional support from Neil and Ness. I’m so happy that you’re feeling better and are back to playing your guitar. :)

Sandy

tombo1230

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:09 pm

Hi Willem,
It was great to see and talk to you in person. I am so glad you turned up with
your brother, who was a very nice man with a great smile.
I am glad that your guitar mojo has been revived, that is great news. You have come too far
To stop now.
Camp was great and I have taken away great memories and new friendships.
Thanks for turning up and making it even more special.

All the best.

Tom N.

TGNesh

Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:59 am

That was an awesome review Willem, thanks so much for taking the time to write it all down!

We were thrilled to have you there. I know the site has meant a lot to you, but yóu have meant a lót to the site as well.

I am so happy that your love, motivation for the guitar is totally back, as you put it. That's exactly the purpose of such an event, to inspire, motivate, renew, re-charge and so on.

Many thanks again Willem, hope we can do it again some time! (next year would be great ;) )

Ness

elennon

Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:18 pm

Hi Willem

It was great to meet you. I liked our collaboration experience very much. Do you recall how it came about ? You approached me and said would you like to do a song together, i said yes , you said do you know Teach Your Children ? I said I had never heard of it , you sat down and showed me the song and that was it. Loved the spontaneous approach.

Maybe we can repeat again in the future

Cheers
Eric

willem

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:00 am

Tom ''i can play this song in my sleep but now I am awake''

Eric, 1-2-3-4!

Vanessa, thank you

B) Willem

tombo1230

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:10 pm

willem wrote:
Tom ''i can play this song in my sleep but now I am awake''
That's a rib tickler Willem. :laugh:

Tom N.

spinland

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:59 pm

Thanks for the great review!

Ever since my dad (who was adopted) ran his DNA and found out he's biologically a Scot (Clan Colquhoun, Americanized to Calhoun) I've wanted to visit Scotland. I've lived in Germany (my mother's homeland, and I speak German), and often visited England, but now I have a new focus.

I would very much have loved to travel there for this IGC, but right now we're in the throes of a family matter that requires several of us to be on hand and hence unable to travel. I have grand high hopes of an eventual resolution that by next year will free me up again, and I would so much love combining a trip to the (literal) Fatherland with an IGC.

Here's to that happy eventuality! :side:

Mark

elennon

Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:14 am

Hi Mark , good to know you have some scottish DNA , if you come to IGC Europe next year myself and Tom will be pleased to have you join our newly formed IGC celtic drinking song band.

Eric

spinland

Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:03 am

elennon wrote:
Hi Mark , good to know you have some scottish DNA , if you come to IGC Europe next year myself and Tom will be pleased to have you join our newly formed IGC celtic drinking song band.

Eric
Can we add this one to the setlist? :side:

[video type=youtube]mQrkD6zIaMs[/video]

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic