Strangest Food You Have Ever Tried

Chasplaya

Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:34 am

Well there is a funny story behind the strangest thing I ever ate and it was when I was an Air Training Corps Cadet on an overseas camp in Gibralter, I had been about 17 at the time and we had time off and 4 fellow cadets and I went down town and thought we'd sample the local cuisine, we went into this small cafe and the menu was in Morrocan and the chap serving couldn't speak any English, so the 5 of us studied the menu and pointed out a particular dish for no real reason cos we couldn't even pronounce it and asked using sign language for one serving between us just to taste .. We got the funniest look, about half an hour later the chap came back with this stainless steel platter with the cover over the top ceremoniously placed it in the middle of the table and managed to say 'Enjoy' Now here were 5 starving teens needing a big feed, fork and knife at the ready.... We lifted the cover off the platter to reveal two tiny little birds (budgie size) miniature roasts covered in gravy. It turned out they were Swallows a local delicacy and they were intended as a Hors deuvre and the idea was to grab one by the little leg and pop the whole thing in your mouth bones and all and chomp away. Well the locals laughed at us carving these little things up equally between 5, they tasted all right if I recall but what a luagh we had about it

AndyT

Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:38 am

Its getting to be pretty hard to find a place where I can't walk in and say "Big Mac" and not get some kind of meatburger.

Chasplaya

Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:50 am

AndyT wrote:
Its getting to be pretty hard to find a place where I can't walk in and say "Big Mac" and not get some kind of meatburger.
Now on one of my first trips back to Scotland I arrived in the midst of 'Mad Cows' disease scare and all the MacDonalds couldn't sell any beef products so they were selling Lamb burgers specially imported from ... yup New Zealand lol All the way round the world for a lambburger

AndyT

Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:00 am

LOL. Why am I not suprised?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic