Bands DNA

willem

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:11 am

Every band has his own unique sound?

daryl

Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:11 am

I would say absolutely yes. But to my untrained ear I would say ALL heavy metal bands sound alike. And ALL rap music sounds alike. But I'm sure others would say ALL British Invasion bands sounded alike.

Can anyone name 2 bands that you can't tell apart?

wrsomers

Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:15 am

daryl wrote:
I would say absolutely yes. But to my untrained ear I would say ALL heavy metal bands sound alike. And ALL rap music sounds alike. But I'm sure others would say ALL British Invasion bands sounded alike.

10cc and Wings

Bill

TGNeil

Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:18 am

wrsomers wrote:
daryl wrote:

10cc and Wings

Bill
Hey Bill,

That might be because of "I'm Not In Love", which I assumed that was Paul McCartney when I first heard it. It also made me not pay any more attention to them at the time.

Neil

sandysue

Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:36 am

i think the Eagles had a unique sound and some great songs. also Fleetwood Mac, especially with Stevie Nick's Voice.

sandy

wrsomers

Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:37 am

TGNeil wrote:
wrsomers wrote:
daryl wrote:

10cc and Wings

Bill
Hey Bill,

That might be because of "I'm Not In Love", which I assumed that was Paul McCartney when I first heard it. It also made me not pay any more attention to them at the time.

Neil
Neil,
My thoughts exactly. I always thought "I'm Not In Love" was Wings until Vanessa posted her lesson. This is similar to Dire Straits' "Sultans Of Swing" and Stealer's Wheel's "Stuck In The Middle With You: which sound a lot like Dylan.

Bill

dtaylor

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:16 am

wrsomers wrote:
TGNeil wrote:
wrsomers wrote:
daryl wrote:

10cc and Wings

Bill
Hey Bill,

Neil
Neil,
My thoughts exactly. I always thought "I'm Not In Love" was Wings until Vanessa posted her lesson. This is similar to Dire Straits' "Sultans Of Swing" and Stealer's Wheel's "Stuck In The Middle With You: which sound a lot like Dylan.

Bill
and Dylan now sounds like every gin-addled tramp/busker with 3 B-strings on his guitar...

TGNeil

Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:00 pm

wrsomers wrote:
TGNeil wrote:
Neil,

Bill[/quote]

Funny that you bring up Sultans Of Swing. When I first heard that I remember thinking it was Dylan and his voice was never better, and he had recruited an amazing guitar player, the likes of which I had never heard on any of his records!

TGNesh

Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:12 pm

That's interesting, but it shows once again how relative and subjective these matters are. I mean, I néver ever thought that I'm Not In Love was by either Paul or the Wings. :laugh: B)

wrsomers

Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:31 pm

TGVanessa wrote:
That's interesting, but it shows once again how relative and subjective these matters are. I mean, I néver ever thought that I'm Not In Love was by either Paul or the Wings. :laugh: B)
Ness,
Yes, interesting and true that all of us hear things through different ears and filters. That's what makes it all so much fun.

Maybe I should have answered Daryl's question by saying every rap group sounds the same to me. :laugh: :ohmy:

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic