Update: Hotel California

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGJIM

Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:30 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have the Hotel California TARGET Preview up here:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/classic-a ... et-preview

TARGET Members Hotel California is now complete with Normal Quality version. We will be posting HQ version soon.

Take care,
Big Jim

haoli25

Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:59 pm

WOW! Four Neils in one video! He looked like he
was really enjoying that 12-string too! :)

BigBear

Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:04 pm

Neil- awesome start!! Can't wait for the final product especially learning the lead!! I can see why that song has been so complex to break down. Nobody has done this song this completely!!

Thanks!

rcsnydley

Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:20 pm

I've been waiting for this one, I'm heading over there right now.

Thanks

Ric

rcsnydley

Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:42 pm

Awesome lesson. I especially liked the explanation of the use of the capo and also the key changes in the song.

After years of playing I just discovered the use of the capo for multiple guitars last summer. Now when I write songs or work out non-originals to play with my friends I always work out alternate or added guitar parts.

Another way to add parts for multiple guitars is to us barre chords based on usually either the E form or the A form while the other guitar plays open chords. You can also use partial chords or triads arpeggiated (sp). A great example of this is in the Beatles song "And I Love Her", on verses 2, 3 & 4 John Lennon strums the regular chords while George Harrison plays arpeggiated triads around the 10th, 11th & 12th frets.

Great beginning to this song and lesson, can't wait for the rest.

Keep Playing
Ric

Chasplaya

Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:56 am

I checked the TARGET Preview out theother day.. awesome is an understatement... 4 Neils is a bit much though lol.

This would be my all time favourite song , I love playing the intro on my Tak 12 string

AndyT

Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:49 am

I'M LOVING IT!

haoli25

Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:08 am

The "Let's Talk Theory" segment was particularly good in this
lesson. I watched that segment 3 times and jotted down some
notes for future reference.

KennyF

Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:46 am

rcsnydley wrote:
After years of playing I just discovered the use of the capo for multiple guitars last summer. Now when I write songs or work out non-originals to play with my friends I always work out alternate or added guitar parts.

Another way to add parts for multiple guitars is to us barre chords based on usually either the E form or the A form while the other guitar plays open chords. You can also use partial chords or triads arpeggiated (sp).

Ric
Good point Ric.

If you're in a band with two or more guitar players, it's necessary to work out a multi-guitar arrangement.

Song selection based on the instruments in the band is important too. All too often, I've seen bands who try to pull off a song without a second guitar player, or without a keyboard player, etc, and it just doesn't come off right. For example, there's no way to do Freebird live without piano, and there's no way to do a song like Soulshine without an organ, in my humble opinion.

BigBear

Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:11 am

rcsnydley wrote:
Ric- great point. I discovered how true that is playing in a jam session a couple of weeks ago. The lead guitarist (so designated because he was a professional player) was playing Hotel California in the open position so I slapped a capo on the 7th fret and played the song from there. It sounded really good with the much higher notes!

Thanks to Neil for that one! I can't wait to work out the lead from Neil's song study.

So I used a capo on a few other songs and it added a lot of interest when everybody else was banging on the same chords in the same positions-- booooring!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic