The Allman Brothers - Melissa

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGJIM

Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:54 pm

Well, I had planned on whipping out a TARGET Short for this great song by Gregg Allman, but as I got into it, it got a little more detailed than I had planned. It turned into a full TARGET lesson with all the usual segments and a few bonus ones.

Thanks to everybody's support regarding the Sing-A-Long segments, there is one here. I also decided to use the song as an intro to improvising a lead over a simple chord progression. There is a segment talking about pentatonic scales, as well as a Jam-A-Long. There also are a few charts on scales.

Have Fun!

Neil

[video type=youtube]ORvda4uJ0dE[/video]

rcsnydley

Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:36 pm

The quiz question in the conclusion segment, I know the band is YES (one of my favorites also). I'll get the song soon I know.

Keep Playing
Ric

rcsnydley

Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:49 pm

rcsnydley wrote:
The quiz question in the conclusion segment, I know the band is YES (one of my favorites also). I'll get the song soon I know.

Keep Playing
Ric
The song is "Starship Trooper" off of the 1971 'The YES Album'. IMHO, this album along with 'Fragile' and 'Close To The Edge' were the greatest of YES's albums.

Keep Playing
Ric

haoli25

Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:37 pm

"Melissa" is a nice addition to TARGET. Thanks for adding it.
It's another one of those songs I didn't know I wanted to
play until now. :S

galnpdx

Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:18 am

I think this is a great song and excellent band to delve into. IMHO Dickie Betts is a much underrated player/writer then history gave credit to him for. Im happy to see this song as a full lesson, I started learning it years ago, got sidetracked by learning Jessica and Midnight Rider, never got back to Melissa but I will now! Kudos to you Neil.

pak452

Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:33 pm

I have wanted top play Melissa for some time. I found a lesson on youtube over a year ago but it was not what I considered correct enough to learn. Thanks neil for this one it is just what I was looking for. The full lesson is great with the lead addition. That is the kind of lessons I love.

Thanks again Rick

pak452

Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:56 pm

Rick,

I am really happy to oblige and glad you liked the lesson. I just wish I could have gotten to it sooner.

As far as the comment on Dickie Betts being underrated, I certainly don't consider him an average guitarist, the guy is great. Unfortunately, he is also somebody who is and has been dealing with some demons, some uncontrollable and some self=induced.

If and when I ever get to my list of the greatest rock songs ever, you will find one of his in there. Let the guessing begin... again.

Have fun,

Neil

haoli25

Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:03 pm

That is so true about Dickie Betts, so talented and
so troubled.

Hmmmmm, a Dickie Betts song on Neil Hogan's 'Greatest
Rock Songs Ever'......hmmmmmmm, what could it be?
Maybe Ramblin' Man? B)

haoli25

Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:22 pm

Too poppy.

haoli25

Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:28 pm

Too poppy, huh? lol

That leaves 'Jessica' I guess.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic