Leonard Cohen Hallelujah

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
unclewalt

Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:29 pm

Chasplaya

Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:39 pm

Neil wrote:
Tabbing an improvised take of a song is way too time consuming and the benefits are counter-productive. I will try not to do any more play throughs that are not tabbed.
In my opinion Neil I'd leave them as they are as by doing this it shows and encourages players to think beyond the basic tab and consider improvising. I think all that is needed is to say this is what is possible once you've nailed the basics of the tab.

haoli25

Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:44 pm

Neil wrote:
Tabbing an improvised take of a song is way too time consuming and the benefits are counter-productive. I will try not to do any more play throughs that are not tabbed.

Tabs or not, I like the 'play throughs' as they are. You can't learn to improvise by copying someone else note for note. Neil's improvs are great, but I kind of like mine too. And NO, mine aren't tabbed either. lol

Bill

AndyT

Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:49 pm

I would leave it the way it is. Sure, new players are going to be wondering where the tab is, but with a bit of explaining, they will realize why there isn't one. For beginner lessons, lets keep it right on the tab though. No need to confuse newbies.

Catman

Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:15 am

AndyT wrote:
I would leave it the way it is. Sure, new players are going to be wondering where the tab is, but with a bit of explaining, they will realize why there isn't one. For beginner lessons, lets keep it right on the tab though. No need to confuse newbies.
I second that.

kirbySfan

Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:28 am

Jorge Nolla has created a very good TAB for fingerpickers, which has some nice notes. You can get this TAB from Jorge for free. The song is easy to play from TAB and listening the video.
Here is the Youtube video:

Jorge has some other TABs. However, e.g. Neil´s TAB for "Imagine" is in my opinion better than that of Jorge.

AndyT

Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:58 am

I have always liked this song. I've heard a couple of really good versions, and I don't listen to the bad ones so I never heard them.
This would be a really good one Neil. I look forward to its arrival.

heyjoe

Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:17 pm

Hi Guys

I'm loving the improvised behind the scenes part Neil has done, more of them please.

Just another quick point, is it just me, or does the Tab for the standard version not match with the video, in that Neil is playing with a capo on the 2nd fret, and the Tab doesn't make any mention of it.

I know it's a small point, its been a long long day, so I thought I'd check with you guys first to see if I'm seeing things right, or has the alcohol been playing tricks with my sight?

I'd never really listened to the song before Neil's video, I'm certainly listening to it now, beautiful song.

Thanks

Joe

Chasplaya

Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:30 am

I just watched a guy on Australian Idol singing and playing this, the singing was ok (he got through to top 100) but he didn't get the guitar right till the last four measures sheesh hope for some of us yet lol

willem

Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:32 pm

haoli25 wrote:
Neil wrote:

Tabs or not, I like the 'play throughs' as they are. You can't learn to improvise by copying someone else note for note. Neil's improvs are great, but I kind of like mine too. And NO, mine aren't tabbed either. lol

Bill
For me is improvising very difficult, but i'm with you Bill(when i translate Bill,they say its Willem hahaha),for me is what Neil does a good way to try it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic