Leonard Cohen Hallelujah

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
haoli25

Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:16 am

I am so glad that I learned to play in the pre-TAB era. In the old days we had to pick out the melody notes to find the right chords. :)

Chasplaya

Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:09 am

Some historians reckon TAB is older than notation so Bill just how old are you?

unclewalt

Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:48 am

haoli25

Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:15 am

In the 1960's, Al Gore had not invented the internet yet. (lol) The tabs that were available were in guitar songbooks and nobody I knew bought those songbooks. My friends and I learned songs from each other or by picking them out ourselves. For difficult songs, I still prefer sheet music to tabs any day. lol

unclewalt

Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:39 am

haoli25

Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:50 am

We agree to disagree. Use 'em if you got 'em.

Chasplaya

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:40 am

Quite frankly the quality of the TAB and the quality of standard notation is down to who wrote it, if my grandaughter wrote either it would be interesting but not good.

The first known existence in Europe is around 1300. In Asia there exist much older tablature notations.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:32 am

@webtvdan: Happy to see you were able to post your very first forum comment in a critical way and not get shot to pieces by Neil's fans! That's a indication of the positive orientation of nearly everyone on this site. "..otherwise how did you like the play Mrs. Lincoln" sums it up! However, I think it's really important that you can say what you said. Personally, I see it very differently to you. Neil is teaching us how to cook and not handing out recipes. Sometimes he does to coax us along. But he really wants to us to get much more out of ourselves than just to be able to follow a tab. That's why I'm here. If I learn to cook, I'll be writing my own recipes soon. Now that's really cookin'!

Chasplaya

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:49 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
@webtvdan: Happy to see you were able to post your very first forum comment in a critical way and not get shot to pieces by Neil's fans! That's a indication of the positive orientation of nearly everyone on this site. "..otherwise how did you like the play Mrs. Lincoln" sums it up! However, I think it's really important that you can say what you said. Personally, I see it very differently to you. Neil is teaching us how to cook and not handing out recipes. Sometimes he does to coax us along. But he really wants to us to get much more out of ourselves than just to be able to follow a tab. That's why I'm here. If I learn to cook, I'll be writing my own recipes soon. Now that's really cookin'!
Hmmm'The Naked Guitar Player' Conjuring up horrible pictures lol

For those unfamiliar with the aforegoing google Jamie Oliver

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:53 am

...only one thing worse than the naked cook or guitar player: doing the ironing "Fuddyblut" (Bear, that's a new Swiss expression for you)! Made that mistake one time.
Barb, don't say anything!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic