Leonard Cohen Hallelujah

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
RicksPick

Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:25 pm

Just watched the play through
then i noticed the behind the scene's part
FANTASTIC
Just brill
This is why we are devoted students of Neil
Thanks Neil

RicksPick

Going to practice more!!

jim56

Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:54 pm

Just finished watching the lesson. Great tune to learn. First heard this song while watching the movie Shrek with my children. The behind the scenes was an interesting addition to the lesson. Thanks

PS, Just wondering what soap opera did she hear this on?

webtvdan

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:48 pm

Disappointed with the tab on this one. I subscribed to Totally Guitars for Neil’s complete solo pieces like ‘Here Comes the Sun’ or great sounding accompaniments such as “From the Beginning”.

Not familiar with Hallelujah until hearing Neil’s “Play Through” and loved it. Download the tab and it’s not even close to the “Play Through”. Instead it’s a rudimentary chord and fingerpick pattern.

Found Jorge Nolla solo and Tab after an internet search. I’ve almost memorized it. I’ll probably purchase a couple of Jorge Nolla Tab’s.

No doubt I’ll eventually learn all the songs on the site and move on – but you shouldn’t send new subscribing students on internet searches for other teachers to learn a guitar piece you introduced them to!

haoli25

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:55 pm

Otherwise, how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln? :)

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:26 am

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time...

Tab doesn't match the play through...

The number of times this topic has been discussed and answered around the Forum you'd think the message would get through. It is clear some view this site as purely a tab site not an instructional site to learn and also to learn sufficiently to make songs your own. I think the behind the scenes video is very helpful in getting this message across but maybe some need it in Gigantic font on the Home page

AcousticAl

Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:34 am

haoli25 wrote:
Otherwise, how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln? :)
THAT'S funny.

unclewalt

Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:41 am

The number of times this topic has been discussed and answered around the Forum you'd think the message would get through

Well, except that not everybody reads the forums in depth, which are difficult to navigate in some ways. And the fact that so many people ask about this clearly means it's an issue. As I noted in another topic, I think it's mostly just an issue of presentation, but the fact is a lot of people are left confused and a bit frustrated.

That said, the lessons themselves, as a whole, make it clear that there is enough stuff here for everybody -- from beginner to advanced player. And more coming all the time. If one lesson is too elementary for someone, they can find another lesson that is more advanced. I think "Hallelujah" is an excellent basic lesson for someone who wants to learn the song as it is played in its popular versions. It also has lots of extras for learning particular versions, and of course the "behind the scenes" video (which I think is misnamed, but still).

So if "Hallelujah" is too basic for someone, they can go learn "Imagine" or "Never Going Back Again" or any number of others.

The complainer brought up Jorge Nolla, who seems great, and does have nice, tabbed-out version of Hallelujah available (I wanted to learn the solo version too, so I went and got it myself). But first, his site is all in French, so if you don't speak French, it's pretty tough to use. And second, all he really does is play the song and offer the tab. Which is great, but it's totally different from what you get here. He offers no tips, no insights on theory, no background on songs, no in-depth, note-by-note, left-hand/right-hand videos and so on.

unclewalt

Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:04 am

as I type this..I am literally on the phone with Neil..and I will discuss this with him..

So bear with me.

eagle670

Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:53 am

Most of the new members that join this site hardly ever post anything in the forum. That said I can understand their frustration if they have listen to a tune, then join the site and expect to learn it the way it has been presented to them. Just an observation on my part. Personally I like the chord/melody type of playing and would love to see Neil do more of it, but in the mean time there is plenty here to keep me occupied for a very long time.

Kevin

BigBear

Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:57 am

Hi Gang,

I am definitely working on a plan for this but as I have said before, it will not include tabbing out an improvised arrangement. There are too many subtleties and nuances that written music (standard notation or tablature) can not convey. Each musician has to develop the ability to understand and connect the melody and harmony, and combine them with a feel and touch that they themselves bring to the table. This ability must evolve at its own pace by listening and creating, rather than imitating. Trust me, I am working very diligently on this and I believe that if anybody can help you get to this point, it is me.

Part of the real difficulty here is the wide range of abilities and levels of our members. I am very excited about our coming ability for uploading videos and being able to comment on them. This will become the equivalent of a 'Master's' Master Class, due to the scope and range of our members. Everyone will be able to comment on and critique each other and we will all benefit greatly. I have posted a short video on the Blog with a few other thoughts on the subject. Check out the post Aloha...

This is a happening thing but it will be a work in progress, probably for quite a while.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic