Tabs of existing TARGET songs

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
68camaro

Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:55 pm

I am wondering if it will ever be possible to get Neil
to at least post the tabs for his solo transcriptions of Madman
or Wish You Were Here. I know this is a teaching site but is a real tease
to hear such great renditions and not at least being able to try to play them.
For solo players, playing transcribed songs with a melody is awesome.

Chasplaya

Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:40 am

68camaro wrote:
I am wondering if it will ever be possible to get Neil
to at least post the tabs for his solo transcriptions of Madman
or Wish You Were Here. I know this is a teaching site but is a real tease
to hear such great renditions and not at least being able to try to play them.
For solo players, playing transcribed songs with a melody is awesome.
A recent comment from Neil on another thread indicates he is unlikely to do that as it is very time consuming to tab. Also he wants to show us what we can aspire to to make a song our own. If you want to try and create a similar sound play the chords through slowly and look for the melody notes within the chords and once you've worked that out go slowly through the strum and add in the picked melody notes or at least some of them, so you end up with partial strum pattern and the melody together.

AndyT

Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:23 am

Never thought of doing it that way Chas. Thanks.
Some karma for you.

unclewalt

Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:47 am

I want to weigh in here because I recently asked about the same thing, a couple of times. While I think it would be great for Neil to include the tabs/instruction for at least *some* of his improvised versions, I also like the idea of his teaching us how to figure *some* of them out on our own. I think some people learn best one way, some learn best the other. So a tabbed out, taught lesson on say, the playthrough version of "Wish You Were Here" might help someone who is just starting to learn how to play that way, and maybe on the next song, they can figure it out on their own.

However, it seems that, in most cases, he's not going to tab out those versions. My recommendation, as a relative newcomer, is this: continue offering the playthrough versions, but call them something else ("melody improv" or something), and put them at the bottom of the list of vids, labeling them clearly. And include "behind-the-scenes" type videos like the recent one for Hallelujah whenever that seems like it would be helpful. (Neil's going through the logic on that one was very enlightening to me.)

I think most of the problem here is simple presentation: the word "playthrough" gives the idea that this is what the lesson teaches, especially given that it's at the top of the list of vids. So people (especially site newbies) are confused when they watch that, and then the actual lesson is different. I know I was.

BigBear

Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:37 am

unclewalt wrote:
I think most of the problem here is simple presentation: the word "playthrough" gives the idea that this is what the lesson teaches, especially given that it's at the top of the list of vids. So people (especially site newbies) are confused when they watch that, and then the actual lesson is different. I know I was.
Walt- that's an excellent point! I always looked at the playthrough as what the song could or should sound like. Then the other vids break it down to learn it.

One song, From the Beginning, has the lead tabbed, but I don't think Neil actually plays it. I can't find anywhere what it should sound like, so I have the opposite problem. Even some of the YouTube vids don't help. I've got the song down tight but can't figure out the lead!

But you are on to something here. I think we all want to get better at improv and the vids and tabs aren't quite bridging that gap. This topic merits more discussion!

Cheers!

AndyT

Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:42 pm

Great Walt! That is something they should seriously consider.

68camaro

Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:00 pm

Big Bear, I didnt even,notice the lead in the tabs to From The Beginning
until you mentioned it. I also believe I have the actual version down but would
like to spice it up if possible. I wonder if Neil would consider a higher
level of membership for transcribed versions. I would be willing to pay a higher
monthly fee (if reasonable) for this additional service or maybe a one time fee
for a single transcribed song. I know there are transcription song books but
I never had much luck with them. I need the visual help in which fingers to use
in playing the song effectively.

BigBear

Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:14 pm

68camaro wrote:
Big Bear, I didnt even,notice the lead in the tabs to From The Beginning
until you mentioned it. I also believe I have the actual version down but would
like to spice it up if possible. I wonder if Neil would consider a higher
level of membership for transcribed versions. I would be willing to pay a higher
monthly fee (if reasonable) for this additional service or maybe a one time fee
for a single transcribed song. I know there are transcription song books but
I never had much luck with them. I need the visual help in which fingers to use
in playing the song effectively.
I'm right there with you. I don't know if I use a full transcription as a crutch or because I learn better that way. I think I like getting it right first, then getting creative later so a full transcription works for me. Since I'm playing someone else's music anyway, I'd rather play it so sounds like people remember it, not the way I improvise it.

Transcritpion books haven't worked too well for me either. Most aren't very accurate or even in the key I need to play in. Maybe I don't use them right.

I think for Neil, it's just a mattter of time. There is so much to do with getting new songs on line that there aren't enough hours in the day to try to tab everything. I wish there were but I don't think it's a cost thing, just a lack of time!

Cheers!

68camaro

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:39 pm

I agree
One thing is for sure, I appreciate the way Neil teaches.
I had a few teachers in my time but not one of them
cared if the lesson came out as precise as Neil. The finer points
that he mentions such as, pick this string up, this string down
or make sure this note is slightly muted is very much appreciated.

unclewalt

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:11 pm

I'm finally getting into "Imagine" now, and it's a perfect example of a lesson for a solo arrangement. I agree it must take a lot of time and effort, and I can't go anywhere near blaming Neil & Co. for being selective about which songs they choose for such a lesson. It's always an economic decision.

That they do this kind of stuff is the reason I'm here, and I'll look forward to more such lessons, whenever they might come.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic