Stairway to Heaven- by me

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
heyjoe

Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:52 am

Hi All

After my first video, for classical gas seemed to go down ok, and I got positive constructive feedback, I thought I'd have a bash at Stairway to Heaven- its still a work in progress, not fluid yet, and you could drive a horse and cart through a few of the gaps, but why not have a go eh?

I'm still working on correct left hand position, seems like I've had the baseball grip forever and not noticed, so I'm working on it (thanks for pointing it out Chas, I hadn't noticed- it explains a lot!)

Let me know what you think

Thanks

Joe

[video type=youtube]9r-BFdiPvkk[/video]

AcousticAl

Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:29 am

Hi Joe,

I just checked out your vid. Nice job!
I don't know if you saw Bill's advice to me about the metronome in the 'Imagine by Me' thread? I don't use one- but I'm going to start to try to get my timing down better. Maybe it would help you too?
'Stairway' is coming along nicely though.. and here's some karma for being the second person to post a SECOND vid..

AA

heyjoe

Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:08 am

Hi AA

Using a metronome is a good idea, I've had "issues" with the speed that I play for a while, I've got one from metronomeonline.com, its something I need to do. I also have Audacity recording program, which has a metronome function on it which is very flexible too.

I've noticed that I play faster at time for some reason, I'm trying to slow down a bit, so my brain can catch up with my fingers.

Asecond person with second vid, i'll settle for that.

Thanks for the karma as well.

Joe:lol:

haoli25

Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:17 am

Good job Joe. More karma to you.

As Al said, give that metronome a try and see what you think. It helped me a lot, I would have never have guessed that the key to 'speeding up' was 'slowing down'. I would take a song that was at 120 bpm and slow down the metronome to 100 bpm. As I gradually learned the song, I would speed up the metronome ever so slightly. I continued this until I got up to 130 bpm or so, then I would slow down to 120 bpm. It felt like playing in slow motion when I was at the correct tempo, but my chord transitions were much more fluid and the individual notes were clean.

Thanks for posting your video.

Bill

Chasplaya

Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:50 am

Good job Joe, Its been said already but the metronome is the way to go, it takes a bit of discipline I don't use it nearly enough as I should. I have online metronomes but I like the Korg MA-30 as it fits nicely in the guitar case so it goes wherever I go.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic