'Moondance' magic!!

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
AcousticAl

Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:35 am

I always knew Neil was magic! That 'hidden pic' trick is great!!

Excellent TG Short.

AndyT

Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:27 am

Hey Al-

You beat me to even announcing this song. I was going to write a very long and detailed story about its creation, as well as all kinds of other useless info, and introduce it with a big fanfare. Unfortunately, it kept getting delayed because the intro became its own HUGE project and I just decided to publish it using a more stealth approach in the middle of last night. Thanks for sparing me the work! Here is how far I got (really just a short Blog post).
Today we have added Van Morrison's Moondance to the TARGET Program. This short lesson goes over a percussive rhythm vamp done fingerstyle, switching into a pattern strummed with a pick, which is also used to play the bass riff in the chorus. It includes what I call the 'hidden pick trick', which is a technique to quickly change from playing with fingers to playing with a pick, without missing a beat or fumbling around for the pick.
This arrangement of Moondance is mostly an accompaniment for vocals or backing track for a lead, but includes a great rhythm pattern that is very useful in a lot of jazzy vamp situations where the chord is accented on beats 1 and 2+ of the measure while the bass stays steady on the beats. Hopefully the lesson explains this a little better.

As usual, I hope everybody enjoys it and I look forward to comments and suggestions.

Neil

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:53 am

Yup, I was enjoying that too this afternoon.... some great teaching points and a song I'd never heard before but now like. Good job!

vnaranjo

Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:21 pm

Thank you Neil for the TARGET Short lesson on Moondance. Great song that is easy to pick up once it has been broken down into small segments. Keep doing more short lessons.

Victor

AcousticAl

Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:15 pm

Neil wrote:
Hey Al-

You beat me to even announcing this song. I was going to write a very long and detailed story about its creation, as well as all kinds of other useless info, and introduce it with a big fanfare. Unfortunately, it kept getting delayed because the intro became its own HUGE project and I just decided to publish it using a more stealth approach in the middle of last night. Thanks for sparing me the work! Here is how far I got (really just a short Blog post).
Today we have added Van Morrison's Moondance to the TARGET Program. This short lesson goes over a percussive rhythm vamp done fingerstyle, switching into a pattern strummed with a pick, which is also used to play the bass riff in the chorus. It includes what I call the 'hidden pick trick', which is a technique to quickly change from playing with fingers to playing with a pick, without missing a beat or fumbling around for the pick.
This arrangement of Moondance is mostly an accompaniment for vocals or backing track for a lead, but includes a great rhythm pattern that is very useful in a lot of jazzy vamp situations where the chord is accented on beats 1 and 2+ of the measure while the bass stays steady on the beats. Hopefully the lesson explains this a little better.

As usual, I hope everybody enjoys it and I look forward to comments and suggestions.

Neil

That just proves I'm on here WAAAY too much, Neil!

BigBear

Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:35 pm

Neil- Great song, great lesson! What else do you expect from TARGET!!

Thanks!! :)

haoli25

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:04 pm

Thanks Neil. That is a fun song to play.

I did manage to add the additional percussive effect of dropping the 'Hidden Pick' through the sound hole...turning my 'Hidden Pick' into a 'Lost Pick'. lol
I've gone back to the tried and true 'Invisible Pick'.

Bill

unclewalt

Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:52 pm

Lavallee

Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:12 pm

Unclewalt, Try to have your left thumb below the center line of the neck when you do the Bm7 chord. That way you will push your fingers upward toward the fretboard giving a bit more strenght without tightening your hand.

Marc

rcsnydley

Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:34 pm

Great lesson Neil. I really like the hidden pick trick (hey, I can rhyme, maybe I should write song lyrics). I've been looking for a good way to do this for some time.

Ric

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic