Chord Solo - Proud Mary

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
haoli25

Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:31 am

Hi Gang,

Inspired by Combo's great rendition of Who'll Stop The Rain, where he combined the chords and melody into an instrumental arrangement, I figured I could probably start adding a little guidance on how to go about this.

A Chord Solo is an instrumental arrangement of a song that incorporates the melody, the harmony (chords), as well as the rhythm (strumming or fingerpicking patterns) into a single guitar part. In order to do this, you must have all 3 parts very clearly defined in your head.

First, you should be able to strum or pick through the chord progression as an accompaniment to the vocal part (the melody). Then you need to be able to play the melody alone, as if you had someone else playing the chords. You must have a very clear idea of the timing of every note, knowing exactly which beat of the measure it is on. This helps you determine whether a note is picked down or up, as notes on the beats (1, 2, 3, 4) will be downstrokes and notes between the beats (on the ‘ands’) will be upstrokes, at least as far as a strumming arrangement is concerned.

Once you have these things organized, you strum through the chords and when there is a melody note that needs to be played, you focus the strum on just the string that that melody note is on. It is usually fine to hit 1 or 2 of the neighboring strings as well, as long as the melody note is a little accented. Simply aiming your strum for the correct string creates this accent.

Many of the Play Through segments of lessons in the TARGET Program are good examples of Chord Solos. Once you have a good understanding of the rhythm parts to a song, all you really might need is a little help with the melody. I looked back at some of the TARGET songs and decided to add a lead sheet (just the chords and melody) to some good songs to start this with. Proud Mary jumped out at me as a great candidate for students to work on this technique. Take a look at the attachment Proud Mary - Lead Sheet, and see what you can do.

Neil

[video type=youtube]NkMFlQy3dos[/video]

BigBear

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:39 pm

Neil- PERFECT!! That's exactly what we've been asking for!!! Great job! Thank you! Keep 'em coming!! Geez, I love this site!!! :cheer:

haoli25

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:52 pm

Thanks Neil. Image

combo

Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:55 am

:blush:

This will save me lots of time! Thanks Neil.

RicksPick

Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:13 am

Great addition Neil

Thank you

RicksPick

willem

Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:42 am

We are on our way, i'm gonna try this because i think i'm very familair with the strum, thank for putting this up.. Image

AndyT

Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:03 am

Good thing you're far away Neil or I think Bear might try and kiss you for this! LMBO! :laugh:

heyjoe

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:24 am

Just the sort of lesson I was looking for.

You seem to know exactly what we need Neil.

Thanks

Joe

Lavallee

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:34 am

This great Neil, just what we need. Once we understand and see the technique, we will be able to figure out on our own. Eventually some sort video trial (not a contest though).

Marc

NKenny

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:41 am

This is great Neil, it's what I have been trying to do. Cant sing so I need this

Kenny

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic