HARMONICA!!!

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
willem

Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:59 am

WHO under us is play this very nice instrument together with the guitar???

jim56

Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:51 am

Hi Willem,

I too have thought about the harmonica just recently having practiced Neil Youngs Harvest Moon. I'd like to know more about the one NY uses.

willem

Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:51 am

jim56 wrote:
Hi Willem,

I too have thought about the harmonica just recently having practiced Neil Youngs Harvest Moon. I'd like to know more about the one NY uses.
I know a litlle bit, its a diatonic (maybe a ''hohner''),and then one in the key where the song is in(you can get them in diffrent scales),i know when you play the bleus on a diatonic harmonica you take one thats 4 scale belong the bleus is in and that makes it difficult because you must make tones by tricks(bending)because the are note naturel on that scale harmonica.... or did you self know...cheeeeeeese

goldleaf

Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:20 am

Harmonica is fun but hard to play. As stated above they come in all the keys and sometimes you have to play 2 notes side by side to get the actual note you want besides bending notes, then they make the harmonica, I forget what it's called where you push in a a small lever that changes the scale 1/2 step up, that is what I've seen Stevie Wonder using. Gary

willem

Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:48 pm

goldleaf wrote:
I forget what it's called where you push in a a small lever that changes the scale 1/2 step up, that is what I've seen Stevie Wonder using. Gary
that they call a chromatic harmonica in all half steps, like the piano,diatonic harmonica is a harmonica in one key and you can get(buy) in differents key's, these are to most used together with guitar playing...nice instrument..

mrdano

Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:18 pm

I've stumbled over a few sites lately that actually had harmonica tab (didn't think that you could tab a harmonica - go figure).

There's a site that gives some real good tips and lessons - www.harmonica.com

Dano

willem

Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:32 am

mrdano wrote:
I've stumbled over a few sites lately that actually had harmonica tab (didn't think that you could tab a harmonica - go figure).

There's a site that gives some real good tips and lessons - www.harmonica.com

Dano
Dano thanks, i go over it..

ceeseene

Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:59 am

I play harmonicas along with my guitar. It's just fun. I had no idea how to play it the first time I did, but I just started blowing and the sound came. First one I played was "Heart Of Gold" with a G harmonica. After some hours practising, that sounded pretty good. Found some sounds blowing and some of them aspiring. Just practising I could find the sounds that could meet the original one. Or, at least similar. Now, I have two G, two D and one of F, A, E, Bb and C. And the most valuable for me is a Cm that I received directly from the gentleman who wrote "Prison Song", which can only be played with the Cm harmonica.
Some other songs I use to play with harmonicas:
"Blowin' in the wind" (D or C)- If I play the song with D or C in my guitar
"Old Laughing Lady" (G)
"Long May You Run" (D)
"Out On The Weekend" (A)
"Southbound Train" (F)
"Keep On Rockin' in a Free World" (Bb)
"Powderfinger" (E)
"Piano Man" (C)
"Slowpoke" (G)
my personal version of "My Sweet Lord" (D)
...some others I don't remember at this moment...

Just hearing to the song and practising a lot.

Cheers,
CeeSeeNe

bekrayorke

Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:17 pm

I encourage anyone interested to get a basic 10-hole diatonic harmonica and a head set, and give it a try! Be your own little band, lead and rhythm!

I started playing guitar 4 1/2 years ago, and had to work at being able to play guitar and sing. If you've had this experience, then you've had perfect training for what is involved in playing harmonica and guitar at the same time... it just takes a bit of practice to get comfortable, loosen up, and be able to keep your rhythm going on guitar while having the independence of the harmonica, playing it's own line. If you can play and sing, you WILL be able to play guitar and harmonica.

I started out with this great little starter set of 7 harmonicas, covering the common keys, with a very nice carrying case, all for $22. Decent plastic harmonicas, far from top quality, but as you improve and decide you want to keep playing, you can replace individual harmonicas with better ones, in the keys you use. And I've continued to use the carrying case.

Of course, Neil Young and Bob Dylan have some nice harmonica parts, that you can listen to, work on playing, and learn how to loosen up and improve your harmonica playing. It's also pretty easy -- believe me, I'm not very talented -- to come up with little harmonica lines to play during an "instrumental break" in whatever song you're working on.

YouTube has videos that include harmonica tutorials, like these nice ones for NY's Heart of Gold. In my opinion, this is a bit too difficult for a fresh beginner (might be best to start with playing your own simple harmonica lines at first), but pretty quickly you'll be able to tackle it:

And here's a beautiful version of young Neil:

A tip for beginners... although since your harmonica will be in the key of the song and pretty much any notes will sound OK, I found it helpful to develop a harmonica part for a particular song, e.g. for an instrumental break while strumming the chords of the verse... and the STICK TO IT, learn it... doesn't have to be 100% identical every time, but the discipline required to consistently play the same lines pays off in your skill at harmonica.

willem

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:18 am

Hello,when i started this thread i wasn't propose to getting any respons,but-great there is,many thanks everybody and keep it up going... I go to my profile to invite you, i also try to make a new group to add// guitar/harmonica players. good day to you all!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic