Acoustic Guitar Genius series Part 2 available now

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGMatt

Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:13 pm

Here is the second in the series of Our new Acoustic Genius Series...

The same deal here, you will find it in the Target only members area, look under Acoustic Genius Series and select the second in the series menu item ..Their are several lessons here..not just one..Here are the current descriptors to get you started..as before I hope you enjoy them, Let us know how they go ...

Building Blocks - Fundamentals II

Overview

Building Blocks – Fundamentals II is all about Major Scales and Patterns. The lesson starts with simple definitions, and then continues with covering all the Major Scales in 1st position on the guitar. Once you understand the scale, you can expand it into patterns that can be used for lead playing.

Chapter 1: Major Scales I

Neil first defines scales, and then goes into the specifics of the Major Scale, including how the whole steps and half steps are arranged. This chapter introduces playing a C Major Scale in 1st position, as well as focusing on the numbering of the steps in the scale. The A Major Scale is also addressed.

Chapter 2: Major Scales II

This chapter reviews the C Major and A Major scales from Chapter 1 and continues with the next three scales commonly used on the guitar, G, D, and E. Everything is presented in 1st position as in Chapter 1.

Chapter 3: Major Scales III

Neil reviews how to find whole steps and half steps when changing strings, talks about properly naming notes in a scale, and also thinking about the numbers of the notes rather than the names when playing them.

Chapter 4: Major Scales IV

The last chapter on Major Scales goes over playing all twelve scales in 1st position, and then Neil explains why there are fifteen different key signatures.

Chapter 5: Major Scale Patterns I

This chapter explains the differences and similarities between scales and patterns. Neil shows two patterns that can be used as a basis for lead playing, one starting on the 6th string and one starting on the 5th string.

Chapter 6: Major Scale Patterns II

The discussion continues with learning how to start anywhere on the neck and create a pattern starting on any step of the Major Scale. This chapter also hints at the connection between seven different patterns and modes.

AndyT

Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:49 pm

Watching the whole thing. I'm on number 3 now. Great stuff! Practical exercises this time!

AndyT

Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:02 am

After watching all of it, I must say; This is the single most comprehensive set of theory explanations for beginners I have ever seen in one place. Awesome stuff Neil! What's next?
Now I have to practice all this stuff for the next 6 months!

AndyT

Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:09 am

Thanks again for all the hard work, great content, and keeping the TARGET fees well worth it!

Cheers.

Chasplaya

Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:13 pm

Oh dear lots more play less work lol

rcsnydley

Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:09 pm

Great set of video/lessons. Time to practicing.

Ric

heyjoe

Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:12 am

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you

Just watched Major Scales I, the penny is finally starting to drop. Scales and their application in music has always been a mystery to me, and after watching this video, things are starting to make sense. How scales are made and how they relate to each other etc etc, the mists are clearing.

I'll be watching the other videos in the series soon, and adding the relevant areas into my practice routine as well.

More great content from the TG team, as usual, but always a pleasant surprise.

Thanks very much

Joe

suziko

Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:47 am

Agreed! I'm just through the second part, and already I feel like I have such a better grasp on the theory behind scales. Like Joe, I'd never really understood why people should play or learn scales (except as a finger-practice exercise). Suddenly, I see why! This series is wonderful. I keep trying to convince my guitar-playing friend to join TG because I can't believe how great it is and I know she'd benefit immensely from it. Thanks, Neil and the TG team!

galsteien

Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:58 am

heyjoe wrote:
Joe
Dont gush man, just send them moar muney

LOL

Me, as usual.....

Tribe01

Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:27 pm

This is exactly what I have been waiting for. Christmas has arrived early!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic