Target Songs lack value for intermediate/advanced players

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGMatt

Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:03 pm

Hey just a follow up in general..

I had an hour long conversation with Neil on the merits of the rolling stones as teaching song aids..and I cannot publish everything he said..I think he intermingled Tom Petty in their somehow..

Basically the stones got an early guernsey because we had so many folk who wanted to have them...this year we will be leaving the simpler stuff for the most part to you guys and our secret weaopon ;)
Whilst Neil focuses on technique based songs , especially ones that maybe you never would have approached, heard or considered until now..

Music Junkie

Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:56 pm

TGMatt wrote:
Hey just a follow up in general..

I had an hour long conversation with Neil on the merits of the rolling stones as teaching song aids..and I cannot publish everything he said..I think he intermingled Tom Petty in their somehow..

Basically the stones got an early guernsey because we had so many folk who wanted to have them...this year we will be leaving the simpler stuff for the most part to you guys and our secret weaopon ;)
Whilst Neil focuses on technique based songs , especially ones that maybe you never would have approached, heard or considered until now..
O.K. Matt, you have officially sparked the excitement for 2010..... :)

1. One of these days you need to elaborate on the whole TP issue, and I guess Rolling Stones now too..... B)

2. Leaving the simple stuff to us and your "SECRET WEAPON"??????? :woohoo:

3. You guys have given me so damn much stuff to work on, I can hardly imagine what else is in store. I may not be working on Target stuff, but the techniques that Neil gives us in those Target lessons have really opened up many doors for me to pursue songs that I otherwise would not have been able to do.

So, finally, thanks and Happy New Year!!!!!

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

MJ

BigBear

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:03 pm

I think I joined this site about three days after it started so I think I qualify as one of the original "moss backs". We have seen it grow from a nice collection of relatively average difficulty songs to what it is today; simply the best guitar eduaction site on the web. Bar none.

I actually belong to another pay-for-play site, which I've never admitted before, and this one is so much better it makes me laugh. The only thing better about the other site is the song selection is catered to a younger audience. Since I'm an old fart, this site is perfect for my taste. Sometimes I wonder if Neil and I grew up listening to the same music together!

What sets this site so far above the others is how much the owners care about us the student. This site isn't about buying songs, it's about learning how to play them. This site has always been about the learning, not just the playing!

As a courtesy to Bruce I went back and listened to the whole TARGET lesson of Wild Horses. Bruce is correct that it is a pretty easy song and without knowing the difficulty level he might have expected a more challenging song. But I think the song was accurately represented as an intermediate but not an advanced tune. You get the overview, the theory, left and right hands, a breakdown, a slow play version and a real bonus, the song in an alternate tuning version. And don't forget a brief history and the tab! I challenge anyone to find another guitar site on the web that gives this level of coverage to a single song. It simply doesn't exist.

I don't find the single song price a particularly good value but a regular membership is an incredible bargain. I suspect there is a reason for that. The owners (Neil and Matt) aren't trying to sell song studies but rather the entire guitar education that comes with membership.

I'm sorry Bruce didn't get what he was looking for. He could have handled it privately but he didn't and it brings up some really good points and the site will be better for it. And as usual, the TG staff jumped all over it to make it right. That's the way these guys have rolled since Day One. Do it right and if not, make it right.

Bruce, I hope you find what you are looking for and I would really encourage you to join as a member. I can't tell you how much it has helped my advancement with the guitar. If we get more advanced players (there are plenty of intermediates out there now) the site will only get better and we could all use the advice of better players.

Cheers to you all! :cheer:

bhartsell1

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:09 pm

All,

I wanted everyone to know that the staff at TG made a refund and graciously apologized. No apology needed, I just mistook what the lesson was all about.
Can someone make a recommendation for an advanced song video? I believe someone eluded to Classical Gas consisting of advanced material. I can see that Neil is a much more advanced player than I, but I've been playing 30 years or so and just want to be challenged a little more. I can plainly recall when I could not strum through a song like wild horses though, and would have loved a video lesson like this back in the seventies when all I had was Mel Bay method.

Cheers,

Bruce

neverfoundthetime

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:18 pm

Hi Bruce, reckon these have the highest difficulty rating:
The Sage Part 1
The Sage Part 2
Something
Angie
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sleight Of Hand Part 1
Over The Hills And Far Away
Embryonic Journey

TGMatt

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:24 pm

Bruce..

We have some more advanced stuff coming but refer to the scale..

in the menu it is always as close as we can make it ..
we rate an advanced or higher intermediate song being a 7+....

So always go to the Master menu tab and look at the rating ...we really try and balance that every tune, and for the most part represents well

So anything with that rating..

Just as a final follow up on the STONES tune..

We actually went back and added some new elements to that lesson...Im going to check to see if they are up , but if they are not, we fixed the darn thing to make it a little more complicated ..and ether we forgot to put it up, or its their and you missed it...

so when I have finished with my Jet lag and dinner I will have a look..

By the way I had a great chat to Neil..and although were all officially on our break till the 15th , secretly were chipping away at stuff...you may get a suprise b4 the 15th, just a neat reminder that were still here... ...thats all im saying

Cheers all..

neverfoundthetime

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:29 pm

..... Matt, Neil, get some rest!!! ;)

beaker

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:33 pm

.....Never found the time forgot to mention...

Windy & Warm
Romanza

for me Never Goin' Back Again seems on the difficult side although it is rated level 6.

Have fun with it, Beaker.

BigBear

Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:04 am

bhartsell1 wrote:
All,

I wanted everyone to know that the staff at TG made a refund and graciously apologized. No apology needed, I just mistook what the lesson was all about.
Can someone make a recommendation for an advanced song video? I believe someone eluded to Classical Gas consisting of advanced material. I can see that Neil is a much more advanced player than I, but I've been playing 30 years or so and just want to be challenged a little more. I can plainly recall when I could not strum through a song like wild horses though, and would have loved a video lesson like this back in the seventies when all I had was Mel Bay method.

Cheers,

Bruce

Bruce- Check out Windy & Warm. I'm working on it still and it's a real challenge keeping the alternating bass note steady. The song is clearly better than my mediocre talents but sometimes you need to stretch a little! Okay, a lot! :laugh:

unclewalt

Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:49 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic