>>Newest Target Lesson - Bourree - a classical Guitar Instrumental

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
sws626

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:49 pm

Thank you Neil & Matt. This site just keeps getting better. This has been on my wish list for a while and now I'm going to take a serious crack at it. As Michelle said, it's probably going to be a long-term project from my current starting point.

-Stuart

tom18

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:10 pm

Wow, I've always loved this piece. A level 8 tune is a bit of a stretch for me at the moment but it's something to aspire to down the road. Great selection Neil, thanks for adding this lesson!
Tom

Lavallee

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:10 pm

I am really happy to see this lesson. I have been working on this piece for a while from a file a found on the internet and from looking at Neil's playing, I am nowhere close. I do not mind at all re-learning it as at least I have good guidance now.

Thanks for posting this lesson, this is another reason why anybody who wants to learn guitar have to join Target.

Marc

haoli25

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:41 pm

tom18 wrote:
A level 8 tune is a bit of a stretch for me at the moment but it's something to aspire to down the road.
Tom

Don't underestimate yourself Tom. If you are like me, sometimes the more difficult songs can come along quickly and then the easy ones kick my butt! :)

Bill

TGMatt

Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:26 pm

unclewalt wrote:
FYI: the beginning of the video for section A is cut off.
I think you will find it is fixed

unclewalt

Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:41 pm

Thanks, but apparently not. Just tried it on two diff. computers and three diff. browsers, and it's just the same as it was. Some kind of server problem or something, maybe? Something not related to the vid itself?

heyjoe

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:19 pm

Is it just me or does anyone else think of "Rock your socks" by Tenacious D when they hear this being played?

blasphemy I know, but I just had to get it out of my system :P

normal service will be resumed shortly

Joe

unclewalt

Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:12 pm

Blasphemy against whom? Tenacious D or Bach? I don't automatically think of it, but probably only because I've knew the original, in its various incarnations, for so long before T-D's version. If anything, I think of Jethro Tull's version.

tvarga

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:57 pm

Thanks Neil. I've been waiting for some classical lessons. :)

unclewalt

Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:00 pm

A couple of thoughts/questions on Bourree (I won't get into how it's supposed to be spelled -- most online sources have it as it is here, "Bourree," while all but one of the half dozen or so versions I have in iTunes have it as "Bouree.")

First, Neil -- I presume that the little snatch of a different version that you play in the "notation and fingering" video is Jethro Tull's. Like, I suspect, many people here, that's the first version I ever heard. Would love a lesson on that someday. I can't find much info about it, though. I'd really like to hear details of how they came up with that arrangement, if anyone knows anything about it. Also, are there cover versions of that version anywhere?

Mainly, what I wanted to know about is other versions of other Bourrees. Particularly, John Williams does something called "Suite No. 3 in C Major: Bouree I & II." It's quite similar, but has a different melody. I can't find info on that, either. Anyone know anything about it? Is it also Bach?

This is what Williams played in the first iteration of "The Secret Policeman' Ball" oh so long ago. Here's the studio version on YouTube.

[video][/video]

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic