Newest Target Lesson - Train - Hey, Soul Sister- ipod, iPad, Itouch ready

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGMike

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:43 pm

With the lesson on Hey, Soul Sister, we step pretty far into the recent past, maybe even into the current music scene. Lead singer Pat Monahan said they were trying to write something in the style of INXS but as it evolved he was not happy with the sound. Maybe it was because it followed the classic 'Pachelbel Progression', I-V-vi-IV, also found in songs like Let It Be, With Or Without You, and Jason Mraz's I'm Yours, to mention a few of the thousands in this category. In any case, once band mate Espen Lind strummed it on the ukulele, he was convinced that they had found the right recipe. In this lesson we look at chord voicings that sound more like the ukulele.

Level 5

Enjoy the latest lesson,
Mike

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-songs/134/4605

If you are interested in the Pay Per lesson version here it is..

http://www.totallyguitars.com/online-guitar-lessons/index.php?option=bands&band=-860

[video type=youtube]ybBx75DJvN4[/video]

[video type=youtube]kVpv8-5XWOI[/video]

Remember if you like the preview please go to You Tube and click the like button twice and lave a comment..

mzuko

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:07 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but why not. I listened to the song and the strumming pattern for Hey Soul Sister sounds like a syncopated pattern and not the quarter and six eigth note pattern in the target video.

tovo

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:16 pm

I assume you mean that you listened to the original recording by Train? I'm answering because Neil rarely does answer questions in the forum, he uses the live shows and relies on other members to answer questions here.

I would say that I don't think it's Neil's aim to exactly replicate the original recording, and that's for myriad reasons. He is usually trying to emphasise a particular technique rather than produce an exact replica of the original. Additionally, when it comes to strumming, he often comments that it's "on you" to come up with the strumming pattern you want to apply to a tune. There are always a lot of options for how you want to strum, 8th note or 16th note etc etc.

I hope that's somewhat useful to you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic