>> Todays Target Lessons - Jimmy Buffett - Come Monday

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGMatt

Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:17 pm

Today's Target lesson is live..

And for this holiday weekend, we introduce the margarita drinking illegal cigarette and cigar smoking Jimmy Buffett.

I had no idea who this was, until a visit on a steamy day down the Florida Keys where I realized that the entire key was a memorial to him.

Upon pressing my hosts for the history of this ancient historical figure was a surprising response..the guy was alive still, and had a pub to prove it..would I like to visit ?...and drink...and smoke..and eat fried things..lot's and lot's of fried things..

My Buffett journey began..

Jimmy Buffett, Come Monday

This is from Jimmy's 1974 album 'Living And Dying in 3/4 Time' and is typical of many of his tunes- mostly open chords, easy strumming, and easy to sing by many folks without real voices! This song includes a hybrid picking technique that is part arpeggio and part alternating bass, as well as transitions from picking to strumming and back, which
are a sticky thing for many students.

It is a level 5 and ready now..

Thttp://www.totallyguitars.com/target-songs/134/4689

If you are not a member of Target and want this song only then you can grab it here..

http://www.totallyguitars.com/online-gu ... &band=-890

As always please take a moment and add comment and double thumbs up for us..

MarkM

Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:19 pm

FINS to the left!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the great lesson on a great song!!! Lots of memories with this song on Labor Day weekend in the tailgate and the shows that he used to do in MA until the golf tournament took over....

I used to just strum through this song but now I think I'll grow up and try to pick it as the lesson shows.

MarkM

AcousticAl

Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:55 pm

Ain't a Parrothead- but I LOVE this song Neil & Matt!!

Many thanks!!!

blindshine

Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:38 pm

This brings back some really nice memories.....Having Buffett playing on my stereo in my sailboat as I sailed Mobile Bay. And then there were the couple of times as I came back home from Gulf Shores and would stop by a Sunday afternoon hangout called Judge Roy Bean's in Daphne, AL, only to find Buffett sitting there playing by himself (he was a good friend of the owner, and from the area). And then the free concert he did this summer to get people back to our beaches in Gulf Shores. So this song definitely hits a soft spot. Not to mention how musical I find this song.

Michael

6stringbostic

Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:34 pm

oh my! i'm definitely a buffet fan! i've played many of his tunes over the years - including this one! can't wait to dust it off. it's been in my head for the last few weeks a lot...

thanks guys!

blindshine

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:00 am

Mornin Six
Did any of those places I mentioned ring a bell? Judge Roy Bean's burned down a few years ago. An icon lost forever I'm afraid.

Michael

mickm

Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:52 pm

blindshine,

I remember Judge Roy Beans, just before you come into Fairhope.
The Flora-Bama also took a pretty good hit from Ivan a few years ago, but I guess there's some icons you just can't keep down.

Mick

blindshine

Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Yep...and I heard the other day that they intend to build an office complex on the site of Judge's. Some really great memories of raw oysters and beer, volleyball, awesome music, and a great way to bring a weekend to a close. The FlorBama occupied several trailors for a couple of years after Ivan. But they can never take away the memories I have.

Michael

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic