>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Silent Lucidity - Queensryche

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGMatt

Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Silent lucidity is the fourth song created as a lesson for TGMatt in a series including Chet Atkins "still can't say goodbye". Split Enz "stuff 'N nonsense", and Black's "wonderful life"..for an explanation of the why behind these four you can visit On the Beat here..

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/newg ... ssons.html

from Wikipedia

"Silent Lucidity" is a single by the American progressive metal band Queensrÿche. It was released as the A-side of the band's fifth single from the 1990 album Empire. The song peaked at #9 on the Billboard Hot 100 and at #1 on the Billboard Album Rock Tracks chart.[1] The song was composed by lead guitarist Chris DeGarmo. Queensryche performed the song live at the Grammy Awards of 1992, with a supporting orchestra.[2]

Because of the lyrical content, and the title of the song, it is assumed to be based on the subject of lucid dreaming. During the middle eight, a heavily vocoded voice even explains a method for this: "Visualize your dream. Record it in the present tense. Put it into a permanent form. If you persist in your efforts, you can achieve dream control."

The song was recorded with sweeping orchestrations. Often the orchestra is not relegated to the background but instead is very prominent such as during the second half of the instrumental section (timestamp 3:16 - 3:51).

At the end of the song (5:26), a cello or double bass plays the theme from the traditional Brahms' Lullaby - the typical English translation words being "Lullaby, and good night, go to sleep little baby".

"Silent Lucidity" is ranked #21 on VH1 Greatest Power Ballads. [3]

In this lesson Silent Lucidity uses a modified arpeggio accompaniment pattern, occasionally with measures in an odd time signature, over relatively simple chords that include some open strings. We take a look at the picking in the verses, strumming and a picking pattern in the chorus, the accompaniment to the solo, and even the solo itself.

There is also an extra fly on the wall video where I embarrass myself (again) as I stumble through attempting to learn this song...(I'm better at it now I swear ;) )

It is a level 5 song and available now to all Target members..

Hope you enjoy this

Cheers

Matt

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... ueensryche

If you like this preview please take a moment to comment and vote for it at You Tube..

Hush now, don't you cry
Wipe away the teardrop from your eye
You're lying safe in bed
It was all a bad dream
Spinning in your head
Your mind tricked you to feel the pain
Of someone close to you leaving the game of life
So here it is, another chance
Wide awake you face the day
Your dream is over... or has it just begun?

There's a place I like to hide
A doorway that I run through in the night
Relax child, you were there
But only didn't realize and you were scared
It's a place where you will learn
To face your fears, retrace the years
And ride the whims of your mind
Commanding in another world
Suddenly you hear and see
This magic new dimension

I- will be watching over you
I- am gonna help you see it through
I- will protect you in the night
I- am smiling next to you, in Silent Lucidity

-spoken during solo-
[Visualize your dream]
[Record it in the present tense]
[Put it into a permanent form]
[If you persist in your efforts]
[You can achieve dream control]
[Dream control]
[I'll do better than that]
[Dream control]
[Dream control]
[Dream control]
[Dream control]
[Help me]

If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you built within
Come tumbling down, and a new world will begin
Living twice at once you learn
You're safe from pain in the dream domain
A soul set free to fly
A round trip journey in your head
Master of illusion, can you realize
Your dream's alive, you can be the guide but...

I- will be watching over you
I- am gonna help to see it through
I- will protect you in the night
I- am smiling next to you....

haoli25

Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:34 pm

WOW! Image

chacho

Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:11 pm

This is what I like about Totally Guitars, songs and artists that I have never heard before being brought to my attention.
What a great tune and thanks for sharing with us the reasons behind choosing this and the other 3 songs.
As an English kid growing up inthe 80's " What a wonderful Life " brought it all back and was the first CD album that I ever bought.

Thanks Matt, they all hit the spot for me and will try to learn all of them but I might have to add the song " Don't Worry Be Happy " by ? to balance up my mojo........... :laugh:

waggis

Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:57 pm

This song was a pleasent surprise and not even on my radar. Thanks for indroducing such a wonderful song.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic