>> New "Fly On the Wall" series - Target only - Episode 1 -Lesson with Mark M

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGMatt

Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:49 pm

We are thrilled to reinstitute a feature the has been on holiday for a little while: Fly On The Wall videos. These are lessons with real students shot in Neil's studio. Neil has always encouraged his students to arrive early for their lesson and eavesdrop on the previous lesson when they can. It is very common for something that has been slightly (or even completely) unclear to make sense when hearing it explained to someone else, or in different terms.

Our first re-entry into this category is a lesson Neil did with TARGET member MarkM, who was on a business trip in Northern California recently. The lesson is presented in 2 parts. Part 1 is mostly theory oriented with a review of how notes are arranged on the guitar fingerboard, and in Part 2 they break down a song Mark had always wanted to play but couldn't find accurate music for.

This is a Target only feature so hope you enjoy this

Cheers

Matt

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... ard-theory

. Image

neverfoundthetime

Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:00 pm

I like being the fly on the wall. That way I can pick up all the info without having to sweat it out when Neil springs those tricky questions... like Mark was!! Still, Mark, how great is it when Neil actually puts your finger in the right place? That's a new feature I'd like to see added any time :-).

NKenny

Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:20 pm

Mark I can feel for you, that was a hard thing to do with Neil there. What a great teacher he is, he really loves it you can see. That helped me so much to watch him teach you. It was like I was right there with you, except I would have completely went blank and froze,you did great. i hope we see many more of the Fly on the wall videos it is very helpful.

Have a great day Kenny

sbutler

Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:49 pm

Mark, what you don't know, is really how well you actually did.

Something tells me that you walked away from there, a much better guitar player than you were when you walked in.

At least it wasn't your boss grilling you about sales figures or something painful like that.

GREAT Job,

Scott

MarkM

Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:27 pm

Looking back on this now I can really appreciate what this lesson did for me. I'm not going to lie to ya though and say that I didn't have major brain lock at the time. For something as simple as the ABC's you would have thought that I could have done a better job. I am happy to report that I can now recite my fret board ABC's from top to bottom and back to front even on the made up "F" string........

This lesson really clicked for me when I got my head to stop clouding the information. Once I got the logic of the situation everthing just fell into place. Just remember that I before E except after C.........OH sorry that was something else I remembered from way back when......

As you can all see Neil is very easy to listen too and puts things into perspecitve and its proper place very easily. It's no different than his lessons which make it so much fun and fullfilling to learn with his method of teaching. I'm not sure I'm a better guitar player Scott but I can tell you where an Am7 chord is up the neck.....As for getting grilled for my sales figures, well that is the week after next....... That will be easier I'm sure.

MarkM

BobR

Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:36 pm

Mark,

Thanks again for sweating out all the "what note is that on the 5th string... now do it backwards....." You did all the work and I got to reap all the benefits. This was a really great learning experience for me so I am glad your work brought you to California.

Thanks for the fly on the wall look.

Bob

sbutler

Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:30 am

Mark, compared to my last first officer check ride with Osama Bin Hitler , Neil is a sweetheart.

He certainly isn't condescending and seems to always be the consummate teacher. You can tell he loves it, so It looked to me like you were in good hands.

So, Just what are you going to work on before your next trip to Calif???

Scott

Lavallee

Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:45 am

Mark, I really enjoy that lesson. Neil is a gret teacher and it is a wonderful opportunity you had. I kind a took the chords naming realitve to positions a little litely but I will make sure to get this under my belt.

MArc

tombo1230

Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:20 pm

Well Mark, I have to admit that I really envy you, would love to have a opportunity like that as well, a one on one with the big TG-Master himself!

The great thing about Neil is, he always seems to be really himself, as if he's not talking to a camera, it's like he is in the room with you and seeing him in this video shows me that even more...I'm sure you had a great time with him and it's great that we can easedrop!

Cheers

Vanessa

Music Junkie

Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:15 pm

Can you say Jealous.......??????? B) B)

Mark:

What a neat clip of you guys. I know that I get major brain freeze even at lessons with my instructor. You actually did quite well considering you were in the spotlight. It was great to see one of the gang getting to see the wizard..... :) :)

J

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic