>>New Target Only Lesson - Fly On the Wall - Fly On The Wall - Chords, Scales and Keys

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGMatt

Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Today's Target only release is now live for you to enjoy

In today's Fly On The Wall video we eavesdrop on Neil and his student Sandy. She had taken lessons from Neil about 30 years ago before dropping it to raise a child and move to the country to raise horses as well. She recently wanted to get music back in her life and contacted him about restarting lessons and getting a new guitar. Neil happened to have a friend selling a guitar built by Mark Blanchard that proved to be a great fit for her.

Here is the story from Neil...
Sandy is the type of student who is fascinated by theory and understanding all aspects of music. She also loves to read, study, and memorize facts and details. She has retained pretty good technical skills so most of our lessons focus on theory. She has always been good at rote memorization, which got her through medical school and into a career as a nurse practitioner. She makes diligent notes about things we discuss and works hard at remembering all the connections. I really try to get her away from memorizing the details and into understanding the path they came from. In other words, I want her to not try to use a photographic approach to remembering what she wrote
down but to understand the formulas that produced her pages of notes.

At the beginning of most lessons we promise to try to get to some playing but it usually never materializes as she asks great questions. I am really glad that she is willing to share our time together with everybody at TG as it is great to be able to hear multiple explanations of theoretical concepts over and over and from different backgrounds and directions.

This first video with Sandy is called Chords, Scales& Keys. It seems somewhat appropriate to tie it in with this week's lessons that focused on Progressive Rock tunes, as most of these songs were created by musicians with a very high level of theory.

Hope you enjoy this

Cheers

Matt

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

. Image

Hydroman52

Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:25 pm

Sandy,

Thanks for sharing with the rest of us. This was the first thing that I watched when I logged into the site this evening. You had me stopping the video and writing things down to make sure that everything was making sense. It's surprising that I already knew a little bit of this stuff, but hearing it explained a little differently really helps drill it home. Good work!

Neil and crew,

Well done on the camera angle. Everything is visible now, and no problem seeing everything . . . . from the fly's point of view.

Thanks again,
Hydroman52

Craig

Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:59 am

I have to concur with Hydroman, this helps me a lot. Even though I've been through the Acoustic Genius Series...some sinks in, some "clanks" off my thick skull! It helps to listen to Neil explain theory to another student. I hope you continue to do this series for those of us that need as much theory as we can get. Thanks,
Craig

willem

Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 am

I agree with hydro and Craig,I like thes fly's especialy this one while talking over the theory,,it still is a lot of englisch for me but love to get that down and i got it a bit more,so i hope to get more of these..

Sandy thanks for coming by..oh and give the tab/sheet a chance its great..

reiver

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:08 pm

Oh I lóve theory, great fly on the wall, thanks Sandy and Neil!

Cheers

Ness

thereshopeyet

Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:12 pm

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic