>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Wond’ring Aloud - Jethro Tull

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGMatt

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:38 pm

Today's Target and Pay Per lesson release is now live

Wond’ring Aloud is a beautiful ballad/folk song tucked into the middle of Aqualung, by Jethro Tull. It is a perfect showcase for the exquisite guitar style of Ian Anderson. This gentle song is in 3/4 time and features some measures of simple strumming, a few connecting runs of bass notes, great use of hammer-ons and pull-offs, and a few very complex syncopations that make it very challenging.

A simple chord chart is included for a version that is very playable by beginning guitar students, as well as detailed tab that is very accurate to the actual version taught in the lesson.

Hope you enjoy this

Cheers

Matt

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

thereshopeyet

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks

snipe

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:12 pm

does nobody else like Jethro Tull?[/quote]

Im a fan.. I think there are quite a few closet tull folks in here.

Mike

thereshopeyet

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:27 pm

Thanks

BigBear

Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:44 am

snipe wrote:
does nobody else like Jethro Tull?

Mike[/quote]

Mike- I am a HUGE Tull fan!! I have seen them in concert at least 15 times (maybe 20) and still listen to them almost daily.

Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd and I'm a happy camper!! :cheer:

BigBear

Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:51 am

Neil- just curious but why did you give this song a 7 rating? Compared to most of the other 7's out there this one seems pretty tame. Only a few relatively easy runs and one different chord. Maybe a 5 at best.

You've almost got Aqualung knocked out! Can we expect Mother Goose soon? :cheer:

lueders

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:27 am

snipe wrote:
does nobody else like Jethro Tull?

Mike
Tull fan here... totally out of the closet, too. (Forgot what a great song Wondring Aloud is.Awesome!) Don't think Tull's place in rock history or T.G. is in dispute.
Neil just has us spoiled, I think. More great tunes than a person can play in a lifetime, practically.

Cori

TGNeil

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:20 am

BigBear wrote:
Neil- just curious but why did you give this song a 7 rating? Compared to most of the other 7's out there this one seems pretty tame. Only a few relatively easy runs and one different chord. Maybe a 5 at best.

You've almost got Aqualung knocked out! Can we expect Mother Goose soon? :cheer:
I may have overrated this but it is mostly due to the difficulty I think people will have combining the singing with the playing. I recommend learning a simple strumming version with the vocals, then adding the connecting runs. The triplet-hammer-on-double-pull-off move is particularly troublesome to play at exactly the right speed, let alone while singing. The Level 5 songs are more in Neil Young's category and I think this is quite a bit harder than most of his songs.

I always have a problem coming up with the Level for a song as it is pretty subjective, depending on each players' skill level in many different areas. I also really appreciate feedback from everybody as to their opinion of a song's Level. I'm sure there are many I've underrated as well.

Neil

unclewalt

Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:22 pm

Years ago, when I was a already pretty decent casual guitarist, there was no way I could do stuff like some of the moves in this song, or, for example, in "Over the Hills and Far Away." So for me then, this would certainly be a 7. For me now, it's maybe a 5, but it's still fairly challenging. If we don't overthink the ratings, they're pretty helpful. I was flummoxed by them at first, too. But, best to think of them as a general guide rather than as a rigid scientific system. They are by nature highly variable from song to song and person to person.

unclewalt

Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:43 pm

...and, in a further testament to how subjective "difficulty" is, I had Mother Goose pegged as being pretty easy -- maybe a 4. Now that I've viewed the preview of the lesson, I think it's more like a 6, for me. But it's rated 8, which seems about right, I think, for the average player. But who knows. Part of the reason it seems easier for me, no doubt, is that it's so engrained in my head from years of listening that the rhythms and syncopations won't present the same challenge to me as they would for people who aren't as familiar with the song. In any case, I'm hot to get this one down -- I haven't been playing much with a pick lately, and this will be a good excuse for me to do so.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic