>> New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Guinnevere Guitar Lesson - Crosby, Stills & Nash

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGMike

Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:38 pm

A feature of many David Crosby tunes is the use of altered tunings. *Guinnevere*is an great example of how he changes the pitch of a few strings, starts messing around with chord shapes and sounds, adds a somewhat abstract melody with complex harmonies, and creates beautiful music. The tuning is EBDGAD and uses an arpeggio-style picking pattern over some fairly simple, but unusual chord shapes. He also is never concerned with playing anything exactly the same way twice, and as such recreates each song every time he plays it. We take that approach in this lesson and start with some specific patterns but look at changing and varying them on the fly.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

MarkM

Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:47 pm

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great song choice here for a lesson. This is truley a magical song. Thanks!!

MarkM

thedancer

Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:53 pm

:woohoo: :woohoo: Yeeeeaaaaaaaaah!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Thanks!!!!!! :)

Cheers

Vanessa

lueders

Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:19 pm

Thank you Sir Hogan! (A truly haunting and beautiful song.)

willem

Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:07 pm

Great tuning,,,,abstract???? well it gave me a good smile...my ears love it...

abiliog

Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:27 pm

Thank you,
Another beautiful song,
Abilio

michelew

Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:05 am

OMG! what a beautiful and haunting song. I don't know if I'll learn it. I do tend to avoid alternate tunings. But, i do know that my musical education would be sorely lacking if it wasn't for TG and the sweet folks that I've met here that have become great friends.

I think i have more to learn about CSN, their stuff is fabulous.

Thanks

Michele
( becoming a CSN fan to be sure)

jayswett

Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:31 am

michelew wrote:
I don't know if I'll learn it. I do tend to avoid alternate tunings. Michele
( becoming a CSN fan to be sure)
This song is impossible to sing, but I think it would be a great instrumental. I'm just curious, Michele, why avoid the alternate tunings? You would be missing out on some really great concepts and songs. The headstock tuners that are avaible make changing into a non-standard tuning almost effortless. More importanly, watching Neils explanations as to why alternative tunings make sense has been useful for me in terms of learning the fretboard. Just a thought.

michelew

Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:13 pm

Hey Jay,

Maybe I'm just lazy. I've started learning a couple of alternate tuning songs. For example, 'Never Going Back Again'. But, I find myself not finishing them, I think partially because I have to retune when I go to and from them. Actually with NGBA it is also a pinky barre strength issue. I thought my problem was solved when i got the Larrivee. In fact I decided to keep my Yamaha rather than gift it to a young family member just so that I can use it for alternate tunings. However, the sound difference irritates me and more importantly, the difference in neck width confuses my fingers if i learn a song on one neck width and then try to play it on another.

These are probably lame reasons. I'm sure the are great things to learn about alternate tunings. I guess at this stage I feel I've got more than enough things piling up that i want to learn without adding the retuning hassle to them. If this is hard to sing, and I'm sure you're right I've watchec ethe video, then all the more reason to leave it to those who know what they're doing. B)

Thanks for asking. I'll try and be open to changing my attitude. I do like the sound of lots of alternate tuning songs.

I'm sure you'll do a great job if you tackle this as an instrumental or you could always con some singers into helping.

Ta

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic