>> New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Eight Miles High - The Byrds

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGMatt

Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:29 pm

Today's Target and pay per release is now live

One of the bands that really helped define the Psychedelic Sound of the Sixties was The Byrds. Their early line up with Roger (Jim) McGuinn, David Crosby, Chris Hillman, and Gene Clark produced a defining song of the era, Eight Miles High.

The song featured McGuinn’s 12-string Rickenbacker guitar, combined elements influenced by John Coltrane and Ravi Shankar, and really opened up the ears of the musical community.

This lesson goes over the chord progression and a foray into improvising in the Dorian mode… definitely a mind-expanding lesson.

Hope you enjoy it

Cheers

Matt

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

Max

Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:15 pm

Is the 8 mile high Chart supplied the correct one. It doesn't show any chords and looks more like tablature than a chart?

MarkM

Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:18 pm

Neil,

I've got to say that this lesson, from a teaching perspective, is probably the best one that I've seen. Your instructions on this song and the way you broke them down really resonated with me. I haven't even picked up the guitar yet and feel that I have a great head start simply by watching the lesson. You've taken a set of skills that can be aquired in the Acoustic Genious Series and showcased them in a song that most of us recognize. By doing so it made so much more sense and for some reason just clicked in my simple brain. Either that or having wheaties for breakfast really works..............

Thanks for another great lesson.

MarkM

BigBear

Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:53 pm

Neil- I really enjoyed this lesson. I have Roger McGuinn's lesson on how to play this on a 12-string and it is very difficult to play because Roger uses a hybrid, "chicken pickin'" style using a thumb pick and steel fingerpicks on his middle and ring fingers. That's how he gets that very unique Byrd-style on his Rickenbacker 370 (plus a ton of compression on his amp!).

While I love the sound he gets I simply don't have time to learn that technique for a couple of songs. So I really appreciate your lesson.

The downloadable attachment says "Chart" but I think it's actually the "Tab". Is there any chance of getting the chords and words like other lessons? Especially since your lesson leans more toward Campfire than it does fingerstyle.

Thanks for another great lesson!

:cheer:

TGNeil

Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:08 pm

Max wrote:
Is the 8 mile high Chart supplied the correct one. It doesn't show any chords and looks more like tablature than a chart?
The gremlins have been reprimanded, sent away without dinner, and promised to fix the situation. I think it's done.

Neil

unclewalt

Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:31 pm

So, what was the tab? I mean, now that I have it printed out...

TGNeil

Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:23 pm

unclewalt wrote:
So, what was the tab? I mean, now that I have it printed out...
I can't believe you didn't recognize it as you played it. Of course it is designed to be played at breakneck speed, or should I say machine gun like...

I didn't even know I had that but it looks like Leo Kottke's version... have fun!

unclewalt

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:28 am

Oh, cool! Just last week I picked up a bunch of Kottke, and Eight Miles High is in there (I hadn't even known he had done it). So the mistake turns into a bonus for me!

unclewalt

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:33 am

Or, maybe not so much. I just gave it a listen. I consider myself a high-intermediate or low-advanced student, but there's no way I can do that. I will hang onto that tab, though - I might be able to make use of it in 5 or 10 years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic