>> Newest Streaming package now live - The Kinks

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGMatt

Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:41 pm

For those folk interested and not in Target program you may be interested in our latest streaming package, The Kinks..

The Kinks were one of the British pioneers in the new sounds that were developing in the 60s. Led by songwriter Ray Davies and his brother Dave, they were a band with many different styles, ranging from pre-punk to acoustic ballads, with even a touch of jazz at times. This pack includes short lessons on two of their power chord/riff style songs, as well as extended lessons on three of their more complex tunes. *You Really Got Me*was the 1st big hit for the Kinks, just when they were on the verge of being dropped by their record company. Neil considers it one of the 1st, and best examples of ‘Caveman Rock’. It uses 2 power chords in a very simple theme that is then repeated at 3 different spots on the neck. This is a great place to start your excursion into sliding power chords.

1) You Really Got Me

You Really Got Me was the 1st big hit for the Kinks, just when they were on the verge of being dropped by their record company. Neil considers it one of the 1st, and best examples of ‘Caveman Rock’. It uses 2 power chords in a very simple theme that is then repeated at 3 different spots on the neck. This is a great place to start your excursion into sliding power chords.

2) All Day And All Of The Night

All Day And All Of The Night was the second hit for the Kinks, on the heels of You Really Got Me. It also continues the ‘Caveman’ concept and takes it up a notch with the addition of some full barre chords, including some from the ‘A’ family, which really require 2 barres. The riff is a bit more complex as well.

3) Lola

Probably the most famous tune by the band, Lola came out in 1970 on their album Lola Versus Powerman and the Money-Go-Round. It is a relatively simple strumming song but includes some barre chords and syncopated changes.

4) Sunny Afternoon

A song that many people don’t even know was them, but they can immediately identify is Sunny Afternoon. It was written by Ray Davies and is a very quirky look at life with money. The chord progression is based on a descending bass line in a minor key and has a somewhat jazzy feel.

5) Waterloo Sunset

Waterloo Sunset began in Ray Davies head as Liverpool Sunset, partially owing to his fondness for the Merseybeat sounds of bands coming out of Liverpool at the time. The song featured a strumming acoustic guitar with a short lead using a tape-delay echo effect, a sound that had been popular a decade before but then forgotten. This Target lesson incorporates the lead part with the rhythm and occasional bass runs to create a very full texture.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/online-gu ... band=-4003

.And before you ask..yes the pictures are wrong, blame that on someone born after 1990 UG....

. Image