>> Newest Target members only lesson - Fly On The Wall - Fred works on I'd Love To Change The World

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGMike

Thu May 05, 2011 2:39 pm

Today's Target members only lesson is a new Fly On The Wall

You may have seen Neil’s student Fred in earlier Fly On The Wall videos. In this one Fred comes in after a week after stating to work on I’d Love To Change The World by Ten Years After. Neil and Fred work on cleaning up the arpeggios a bit.

Enjoy,
Mike

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... -wall.html

sbutler

Thu May 05, 2011 6:00 pm

Fred, thanks a million for letting Neil record your lessons. They are fun and very helpfull (to me at least).

The songs that you are working on are challenging and are great songs that I may not have taken the time to work on myself. Seeing a REAL lesson on them, seems to really work for me and it also gives me a partner to play along with.

Your a lucky guy, to get so much of the upclose and personal side of Neil.

Scott

thereshopeyet

Thu May 05, 2011 6:56 pm

Thanks

Lavallee

Thu May 05, 2011 10:34 pm

Good lesson Fred, it was very helpful. It is great to accept to be videoed with Neil, giving a different perspective of the lesson.

Thanks Fred

Marc

skaladar

Fri May 06, 2011 9:54 am

Thanks so much for allowing us to sit in on your lesson Fred. The interaction of a student lesson is so very helpful as a compliment to the recorded target lesson. It adds perspective that is very useful.

What I found particularly interesting in this lesson was the conversation about cross picking. When I first started to learn this song I had been devoting a lot of time to songs that primarily used cross picking. I had to make some (mental) adjustments to get back to alternate picking the arpeggios. I was happy to hear Neil say "a good case could be made for cross picking" this song. I thought about it at the time but since I already had many balls in the air I stuck with the lesson as it was presented. I think it’s time to go back and revisit this song and perhaps try it a little differently.

Thanks again for sharing your lesson with us Fred. You look so at ease in front of the camera I have no doubt that going on to perform will come quickly and easily for you.

♫ Ken ♫

Fred

Fri May 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Scott, Dermot, Marc and Ken...

Thank ya very much (as Elvis would say) for the kind words. I'm having alot of fun learning this song and hope to to have a follow up video once I get more of the rough edges worked out....not sure that I'll ever get them all out, but I'll keep grinding. :cheer:

Having my lessons with Neil each Monday is the highlight of my guitar palying pursuit. He has a real knack for communicating the concepts and theory and in a very easy to understand manner.

Thanks again and I hope to "see" you again soon!

Fred

MarkM

Fri May 06, 2011 4:41 pm

Nice job Fred!!! I really enjoyed this peek at your lesson. I can't wait to see your next video on this song. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

cosmicmechanic

Fri May 06, 2011 8:43 pm

Fred, I must add my thanks for being a good sport and allowing us to join you in these sessions with Neil.

I've been slowly but surely making progress with this tune since even before TG, when I had only crappy tab for it.

You must already know this story ... unlearn the inaccurate version and then relearn the right way from Neil.

About this song's lyrics, though ... I've only made peace with them recently ... I struggled with them for a long time, they seemed so self-contradictory.

I can only suppose that Alvin Lee meant for this song to represent the same universal desire for change coming from people with very different views of the world.

That is, the first part is from a quite conservative (ultimately even redneck) point of view : " freaks and haris, dykes and fairies ... tax the rich, feed the poor.." ,
and the second is more from a much more liberal (ultimately even hippie) perspective "life is sunny, bees make honey, who needs money",
and the third ... and/or fourth ... ?

That's the only way I can justify singing these lyrics ... seen from this angle, instead of being judgmental and confused, these lyrics are brilliant and have a deeper message about human nature in general.

To my understanding, that is what Alvin Lee meant to say.

Thanks !
Pierre

Fred

Mon May 09, 2011 2:36 pm

MarkM and Pierre:

Thanks for viewing. I enjoy sharing the lessons via video - it really helps me because I can look at what I'm doing (or what I did) - and having Neil at my side and his input, my lesson time with him is preserved and I can utilize his feedback any time (ah, the wonders of technology!!). I'm happy to say that I continue to work through the picking and have made progress - so maybe there will be a follow up to this lesson (at least when I can get the strum and picking integrated). Vocals and guitar arer still away off (at least with the picking portion).

Until we "meet" again -

Fred

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic