>> Newest Streaming package now live -Instrumentals In Open G Tuning

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGTraci

Fri May 27, 2011 2:55 pm

For those folk interested and not in Target program you may be interested in our latest streaming package, Instrumentals In Open G Tuning

Open G Tuning has been a favorite of guitar players going back to Robert Johnson and the early bluesmen, and still popular today thanks to people like John Fahey and Keith Richards. It is also one of the most common Slack Key tunings among Hawaiian guitar players where it is known as Taro Patch Tuning. This set of lessons includes mostly Neil's arrangements of intermediate-level songs.

1) Here Comes The Sun

Here Comes The Sun is of course George Harrison's classic from Abbey Road. This arrangement is in the Slack Key style using a steady alternating bass accompaniment.

2) Hula Blues

Hula Blues is a popular Hawaiian song from the first half of the 20^th century. This arrangement is based on one by Neil's friend Hall Kinnaman, who teaches guitar and ukulele on the island of Kauai. It features many of the signature licks we associate with the slack key sound.

3) Give Me Cornbread When I'm Hungry

John Fahey was once of the most influential American guitarists from the time he entered the music scene in the late 1950s. He played in many open tunings, generally with fairly simple chord shapes but complex picking patterns, and heavily inspired the next generation of players, notably Leo Kottke, among others. In this lesson we look at Give Me Cornbread When I'm Hungry. It features a few sections revolving around different chords in the key of G. The main point of this lesson is to take some of his ideas and change them around, really improvising and recreating the song every time you play it.

4) Buffalo Gals

Buffalo Gals is an American folk song from the mid-19^th century. Neil's arrangement makes for pretty simple chords and left hand moves. The right has one section using standard alternating bass technique but another using what he calls an eighth note roll, where there are only three bass notes in each measure, played in a syncopated pattern. Overall not too difficult, as long as you start very slowly and get it smooth before speeding it up.

5) Take Me Out To The Ball Game

Open G presents the opportunity to make fairly simple arrangements out of many traditional tunes. Neil has arranged Take Me Out To The Ball Game as an example of this. The song is in 3/4 time, using a modified alternating bass pattern, which makes it a little different and somewhat challenging at first.

Here is the link - http://www.totallyguitars.com/online-gu ... band=-4013