>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Against The Wind - Bob Seger

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
michelew

Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:57 am

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live .

*Against The Wind *was a hit for Bob Seger in 1980. It is a good example of a basic strumming song that uses only chords in 1 key. This lesson is presented in our ‘Work It Out’ manner where the student is led through listening to the changes and guided into some of the things to listen for to figure it out by ear. Be sure not to download the chart until you have given it a try.

Enjoy This Level 4 Target Lesson.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

Music Junkie

Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:08 pm

One of my favorite songs ever.... :)

Glad to know I have been playing it correctly.... :P

I really enjoy this type of lesson. Trying to break down a song and figure out keys and chords is such good practice for the ear. Thanks for doing the lessons this way you guys!

MJ

sbutler

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:25 pm

Yet again another working lesson. This is really good stuff, and a great song to boot.

Thanks Neil

thereshopeyet

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:15 pm

Thanks

tombo1230

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:38 am

Great lesson on several levels and nice tune too! :)

Tom N.

thereshopeyet

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:45 pm

Thanks

tombo1230

Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:48 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hello Neil

I figured the strum (I think you kept it simple for me!), key and chords.

I did have trouble when listening to the playthrough to keep up with the three 4 chord measure changes.
I think this is something that takes time, when I hear one chord, I've forgotten the sound of it when the next chord sounds.

Not sure if anyone knows what I mean! :blush:

Anyway it was fun

Thanks

TheresHopeYet
It's just a little bit of information overload that's all Dermot. The answer would be to listen and write down what chord is playing and then get the next one. Just keep going over the same bit until you get it correctly written down, then move on. Ideally you would slow it down, (pitch compensated) but that's not an option sadly. :( I think with a lot of practice you might get fast at recognising chords, basic ones first at least.

Tom N.

thereshopeyet

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:26 am

Thanks

tombo1230

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:49 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Tom Wrote:
I think with a lot of practice you might get fast at recognising chords, basic ones first at least.
Hi Tom

Yes, I think not only recognising chords but popular progressions too.

Although it would be nice to slow it down, I think the less you rely on technology the better in the long run.
I enjoy these work it out lessons, forces me to listen.

I don't know where Neil is going with the Work It Out lessons
Maybe once he has covered what he considers a firm foundation to working songs out by ear
he could include a brief Work It Out Optional Part after the lesson Play Through where we don't see the guitar and get a few hints
in all lessons.
Just a thought

I didn't know what to consider next if the chords were not in the initially considered key so this lesson also taught me to consider the chords in the
keys of IV and V chords.

What did you learn form the lesson Tom?

I learned that I can identify some chords just by hearing them and understood a bit more about associated keys and I suppose it really explains to me how to start writing in a particular key and how to migrate and maybe change the mood via another key and come back to the original key again. I think the penny dropped on how that can happen.

Tom N.

Question open to everyone :)

Dermot

rdaltry

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:56 pm

wish i didn't know now what i didn't know then

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic