>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Put Down That Weapon - Midnight Oil

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
michelew

Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:55 am

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live .

*Put Down That Weapon*is one of Midnight Oil’s topical songs about the effects of war and was released in 1987 on their album Diesel And Dust. It is typical of their sound with a melodic, arpeggio intro, driving bass line through the verse and chorus, some full chord strumming sections, a catchy riff to close the chorus, and a crashing power chord interlude, all of which are covered in the lesson. This song is very special to MattB and MattM, and as such there are a few bonus segments- an intro by MattW, a Fly On The Wall with Neil and Matt working on the song, and a couple of Flip-Out videos of the two Matts going over it.

Enjoy This Level 4 Target Lesson.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

dtaylor

Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:36 pm

Very cool lesson, great to watch Neil playing an electric!
Matt getting the lesson on it was enjoyable too. Thanks guys.

TGMatt

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:14 pm

Hey all..yeah I hope you all truly enjoy this...it is very very special to my heart and Matt B's
version too...

I will be uploading the little apple iphone vids I shot at Matts house about 3 months ago, with him showing me some basics..It wa sjust him and I hanging out chatting about life, and this came up so I grabbed a little on Iphone, never thinking I would share it with you guys

I also put myself out there with Neil, as I really have not being playing much at all, but what the heck, I can play it a little better now after a couple of weeks, and I have a go at singing it in Peter's raspy version too, although I refuse to show you how Pete dances..I will post a video below, to show you his um er "style".....

If you have not listened to much of the Oils, you owe yourself , they are/were one of the tightest rock and roll bands out of OZ, go watch power and passion, US forces, or whatever you like, they simply have raw unadulterated power, and could play really play...they were truly musicians, which is why Matt B loved them, loved their riffs, and hooks and there general musicianship, oddly enough Neil Hogan also found the Oils and loved this album well before he had met any weird Australians, so for two music snobs like Matt B and Neil that is high praise indeed..

This is truly dedicated to Matt B my mate and friend, special thanks to Neil for hacking away with a hack like me, and to you guys who give me the courage to put myself out there between long absences of playing.

I love one comment on YouTube explaining that Midnight oil band members were so talented obviously as no other band in the world would be be able to not be distracted by Pete's dancing

Matty B you are a hero to me..keep fighting..

tovo

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:00 pm

I couldn't for the life of me figure out what tune it was when Neil and Matt referred to it...quite ashamed actually! :)

Midnight Oil were a brilliant band. Check out "Short Memory".

Peter Garrett is in federal politics these days. Trust me...he should have stuck to music!

snipe

Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:33 am

Yea!! More Diesel and Dust. Great stuff.. There is one song on that album (the tiltle escapes me) that is all accustic and it is really heavy duty rockin sturmming. Would luv to see that lesson!
Just a thought!
Thanks

Mike

The song is called The Dead Heart.

sbutler

Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:30 am

I'd never heard of this band before Matt. Thanks for turning me on to them.

As you said, this band is really TIGHT, but that dude dancin, is a little loose.

Scott

and oh yeah, I think Neil could really light things up with that Les Paul . That was fun to listen too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic