>> Newest Target members only lesson - Fly On The Wall - Sandy Strumming With A Pick

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGCheryle

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:10 pm

Today's Target members only lesson is a new Fly On The Wall.

Sandy spent many years playing classical and fingerstyle songs and, after 25 years off, is back at it. We recently started playing with a pick and it has been a challenging step for her. In this lesson we talk about improving the accuracy of hitting the bass strings, as well as touching on many other musical tips, as usual in her lessons.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... -pick.html

thereshopeyet

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:12 pm

TheresHopeYet

dsmarion

Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:59 pm

Thanks for sharing, Sandy. You know, as I watched your lesson I began thinking more about my own playing and what I need to work on. And I started to think about something else too. I started to think about playing and practicing billiards and the general topic of how to practice (I have played billiards for years and even spent a little time teaching). The thing is this. The average billiard players tend to work more on their strong points when they practice - the stuff they already know how to do well. And they really don't improve much, they just get to a certain point and then stop improving. The really great players concentrate more on their weak areas - that is one reason why they continue to improve so much. This is true of any sport or skill, I just equate it to billiards because that is something I know about.

So while watching your lesson and hearing you talk about your "rough spots" in songs, I realized I also tend to "gloss over" the rough spots in my own playing too much. I really need to apply the lesson learned and concentrate more on those rough spots, and less on the stuff I already know. If I do more of that I should be able to improve those spots, if not those spots will always be "rough".

I always learn something from watching each one of these FOTW sessions - thank you for being so kind as to share them with us!

Scott

abiliog

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:52 am

Thank you for sharing this lesson Sandy,
I'm used to finger picking, and facing exactly the same problems as you about using a plectrum. This FOTW lesson was very useful.
Thank you,
Abilio

dtaylor

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:15 pm

Thank you Sandy and Neil, that lesson was chock full of great advice, the FOTW lessons are such a great resource for the site.
Dean

johnny_crash

Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:33 pm

I just joined the site and I'm a brand new player that can't stay in rhythm when I switch from one chord to another, this lesson alone was worth the price of a monthly subscription. Thank you both for posting this!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic