>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Colours - Donovan

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGCheryle

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Colours is one of Donovan's earliest songs and a great example of how a simple chord progression, a campfire accompaniment, and folksy lyrics can be combined into a memorable, sing along tune, especially with the addition of playing it in an open tuning. This lesson is done in Open D, although the chord progression is covered in multiple keys.

This is a Level 2 lesson.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

lueders

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:12 pm

Ah Wow! Thanks a whole bunch!I love this tune! I especiiallly like this version of the tune. Thanks!

jimcjimc

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:29 pm

Great lesson! A lot of "extras" here. I liked the tips in the 2nd part of finding the opening melody note when singing, something I normally don't think about.

TGMatt

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:16 pm

I especially like the way Colours is spelt

TGNeil

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:02 pm

Spelt? I thought that was a little fish that some folks see as a delicacy. As a long standing member of the spelling/grammar police, it just seemed right to go with the original misspelling (sic) by the author on this one.

Yours Truly...

Laleña

willem

Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:37 am

I like the play a long(of course the whole lesson) maybe i have to change Yellow into Grey,,or just think it..

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:54 am

This is a very pretty tune and I've been listening to some Donovan recently... love the flower power feel to his songs.

jimcjimc

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:34 am

I know this isn't the proper place to request a lesson, but as we sometimes see target lessons in the same week by the same artist, it would be great to see a lesson on Catch the Wind.

TGNeil

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:58 am

Probably will get to that one in the near future...

Hydroman52

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:41 pm

This song is very straightforward and I don't have any questions about it specifically, but it did bring up a question for me about charting a song.

When you are charting with chord numbers rather than chord names, how would you denote the 7th chord substitution on the chart for chord V? Would it be V7?

Which brings up another chart question. When you are charting with chord numbers, if a chord is a minor chord, would it be written in lower case (i.e. V = Major chord, v = minor chord)? Then would a minor 7th of the V chord be written like v7?

I don’t use charts with chord numbers very often, so please excuse my ignorance.

On another note . . . . .

TGNeil wrote:
Spelt? I thought that was a little fish that some folks see as a delicacy. As a long standing member of the spelling/grammar police, it just seemed right to go with the original misspelling (sic) by the author on this one.

You must be a member of the USA spelling/grammar police. In all other parts of the world, colour seems to be okay. So, I guess only the USA spelling/grammar police will cuff and stuff you for this infraction. It’s a similar situation with spelled and spelt. Actually, I’m all in favour of keeping the “u”. I think it ads more colour to the spelt words. After all, we wouldn’t want to harbour any ill feelings or start a spelling war with our good neighbours. I find myself consciously removing the “u” in this country so that I don’t wind up in spelling/grammar jail.

So, in retrospect . . . . . . . . .

colour/color – are the same thing, depending upon what part of the planet your feet are planted.

spelt/spelled – are the same thing, depending upon what part of the planet your feet are planted.

However . . . . . .

smelt/smelled - although strongly related . . . . . . are NOT the same thing, no matter what part of the galaxy you are visiting!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic