>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Hoedown - Caravan

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGCheryle

Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:43 pm

Hi Everyone,

Hope your New Year was terrific and here is the first new Target and Pay Per Lesson release for the year.

Hoedown is another unusual song by Caravan, from their 1973 album For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night. It features a catchy riff, played very quickly in 7/8 time. It is enough of a challenge to keep the song moving along as it is and we take it to another level with the addition of some rapid-fire lyrics. Ways of putting all of this together are covered in the lesson.

Enjoy this Level 8 lesson.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

sbutler

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:12 pm

The chart and the tab didn't seem to get attached Cheryle. To much party on New Years eve eh?

unclewalt

Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:13 pm

When I first saw this lesson, I nearly plotzed, thinking it was the Aaron Copland (or, Emerson Lake and Palmer) Hoedown - a version of the traditional "Bonaparte's Retreat." I've been wanting to learn that one for a long time. Not that this is a bad lesson - it looks pretty good. But I hope one day we can get one on the Copland.

That is, if such a thing is even possible. I haven't yet found a solo acoustic-guitar version that really captures it. Here's a guy doing it. I like the arrangement, but his execution is a bit off - he hesitates when he should be attacking, for instance (says the guy who doesn't even approach this gentlemen's apparent level of talent):

And, even more off-topic (forgive me): check this guy out, playing along with the ELP version on electric. Smokin!

dtaylor

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:34 pm

Wow, really enjoyed that acoustic version. Wonderful playing, thanks for the heads up on a great tune Walt.

TGNeil

Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:05 pm

sbutler wrote:
The chart and the tab didn't seem to get attached Cheryle. To much party on New Years eve eh?
Fixed, I think...

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic