>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Older Chests - Damien Rice

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGCheryle

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:26 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Older Chests is a fingerpicking song by Damien Rice from his first album, O. It is a steady eighth note arpeggio pattern played with chords in the key of C. Many of he chords include notes not really in the chord but held over from a previous chord. It is really just a simple 8-measure progression with a few random variations. He does use his left thumb to fret the low F on the E string but an alternate way of accomplishing that is covered as well.

Enjoy this Level 4 lesson.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

unclewalt

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:55 pm

There are more than enough great lessons here that I would be more than happy even if a year or more went by without any new ones (though of course I always love new lessons that I'm really into). I say that just to be clear that this *isn't* a complaint, but merely an observation:

Gary Davis lessons: 5

John Fahey lessons: 2

Bob Dylan lessons: 1

Steve Howe/Yes lessons:

willem

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:36 pm

unclewalt wrote:
[quote]There are more than enough great lessons here that I would be more than happy even if a year or more went by without any new ones (though of course I always love new lessons that I'm really into). I say that just to be clear that this *isn't* a complaint, but merely an observation:

Steve Howe/Yes lessons:

chacho

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:01 pm

I see where your coming from.

I never knew of this artist until now and I'm not excited by his style and only once has he been nominated in recommend a lesson.
Some might suggest his music has the ingredients to demonstrate certain techniques to improve our playing.

It might even be that more popular artists also have more copyright restrictions that demand large amounts of money for their songs.

I'm also adding badfinger to the list with 6. ;)

dtaylor

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:49 pm

There are plenty of resources out there if one wants to learn a specific song or concentrate on a particular style, I do think that what this site gives you is the tools to approach ANY style with confidence. I'm no Dylan afficionado but I dare say there's nothing in his repertoire one would be unable to play with the accumulated techniques on offer here.

jimcjimc

Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:12 pm

dtaylor wrote:
There are plenty of resources out there if one wants to learn a specific song or concentrate on a particular style, I do think that what this site gives you is the tools to approach ANY style with confidence. I'm no Dylan afficionado but I dare say there's nothing in his repertoire one would be unable to play with the accumulated techniques on offer here.
Dean,

As a Dylan afficionado, there may be some truth to that, but here is a counter argument.

(let me first say) I also would agree with unlclewalt's comment that there are so many lessons here, I have no complaints. But, I do have to admit that I had never heard of Damien Rice before these lessons, and I have watched 1 maybe 2 of the 10 video lessons (and not been tempted to check out the other 8 as there are so many other lessons to choose from).

Back to dylan: last spring and summer I took a set of workshops on dylan songs. The teacher did what I think Neil does. She listened carefully to the original recordings, slowed them down, separated out the various guitars, and provided some very detailed tabs (in the correct key) of some great dylan songs from Blind willie mcTelll to Corrina, corrina, to desolation row to Make you Fell My Love (yes, it's a dylan song, not an adele original).

Nearly every week, the teacher came in with an impression that as she listened carefully to these recordings that she was surprised how good a guitarist dylan was compared to what she had thought.

So, what's my point - Dylan has a great catalog of songs, he is a better singer and guitar player than a lot of his non-afficionados think and I would love to see Neil add some more dylan tunes to the mix here.

chacho

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:56 pm

unclewalt wrote:
[quote]There are more than enough great lessons here that I would be more than happy even if a year or more went by without any new ones (though of course I always love new lessons that I'm really into). I say that just to be clear that this *isn't* a complaint, but merely an observation:

Steve Howe/Yes lessons:

tedted3

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:15 pm

I don't get it either. Why so many Damien Rice lessons? When I search the web Neil says the way he makes lessons is he goes to the recommend a lesson area. I sure didn't notice many requests for Damien Rice. This is still by far the best site on the internet but I look forward everyday for the new lesson. I get disappointed seeing so many lessons by an artist I am not thrilled by. I am glad to see I am not the only one who gets disappointed.

unclewalt

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:09 am

tedted3 wrote:
I don't get it either. Why so many Damien Rice lessons? When I search the web Neil says the way he makes lessons is he goes to the recommend a lesson area. I sure didn't notice many requests for Damien Rice. This is still by far the best site on the internet but I look forward everyday for the new lesson. I get disappointed seeing so many lessons by an artist I am not thrilled by. I am glad to see I am not the only one who gets disappointed.
You know, I look forward every day to seeing the new lesson, too, so I guess I WOULD actually be disappointed if the lessons stopped entirely for a year, or whatever, just because it's fun to see what's new, whatever it might be - and also because, one of these times, it's going to be "The Clap!" (or something equally cool). But I'd still remain a member.

And I admit to being a little disappointed when it's not something I'm interested in, and even moreso when I see it's another Damien Rice tune. But then when I think about it for half a second, I realize it's silly to feel disappointed, given what I said about there being more than enough here to keep me occupied for the rest of my days, probably (which hopefully is still a long time to come). And many of the lessons are interesting even if I don't plan to really study them - many contain some tidbit on some aspect of theory or technique or something that is interesting and useful.

So to reiterate, I didn't post this as a complaint, or to spur complaints from others, but only as an observation. I found it curious, is all. If it were Dylan or Neil Young or even someone else who I don't really care about, but who had a big catalog of different kinds of tunes, I wouldn't have spoken up at all. Rice has just two or three albums, I think, and hasn't released one since '07.

As for Dylan, I would recommend listening to his first, self-titled album, as well as his 90s solo-acoustic albums, "Good As I Been To You" and "World Gone Wrong." Not to mention "Blood on The Tracks" and lots of other stuff he's done. He's actually a great, original player. He's usually very simple, but not always, and some of his tunes are quite complex and unusual. I read something recently where someone who played with him remarked at how surprised they were by his musicianship - for example, how he could transpose any song into any key, instantly, and make it sound good.

unclewalt

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:21 am

chacho wrote:

There are a few more posts regarding the Damien Rice in other forum posts titled What are your favourite features at TG? What makes you come back day after day?
Ah, so I see. I don't read the forums very much. I dunno, any guitar site with just one teacher that puts up a lesson a day, when there are already hundreds in the archive, doesn't seem worthy of such complaints, it seems to me. Are people really all done with all the songs here that they wanted to learn? I generally don't care too much about the Fly on The Wall either, but they don't bother me. I assume those are there because some people like them (I've seen them say so) and because doing full-on lessons every day, and making them good, is just a shitload of work. I was frankly astounded he kept it up as long as he did.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic