>> Newest Target members only lesson - Fly On The Wall - Drivin’ My Life Away with Fred

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Tue May 08, 2012 10:09 am

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target members only lesson is a new Fly On The Wall.

Once again Fred comes in with a song he started working on by ear. This time it was Eddie Rabbit’s hit Drivin’ My Life Away. He had most of it figured out and we spent the lesson with a little fixing and a lot of talking about theory, mostly related to how the chords seemed to be in the key of A Major but everything revolved around E Major, putting us in the Mixolydian Mode. We also talked about some of the criteria that might define beginning, intermediate and advanced guitar players.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

willem

Tue May 08, 2012 11:26 am

I like the drive of this song,,the fly was very interesting,,thx for letting us in..

Willem

dtaylor

Tue May 08, 2012 5:15 pm

Having this insight into the way theory is taught in the real world makes me want to take lessons, it's the only part of online learning which I can't get my head around in the abstract, seeing Neil apply concepts of keys and modes to a song makes things so much clearer. These FOTW lessons are really making me want to find out more about theory.

RicksPick

Tue May 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Thanks Fred

Great lesson, loved all the theory
So much info put in a way which is easy to understand, thanks Neil

RicksPick

abiliog

Wed May 09, 2012 3:55 am

Great FOTW lesson, a pleasure to watch.
Thank you Fred,
Abilio

unclewalt

Wed May 09, 2012 12:27 pm

I don't normally watch these, but I watched this one, a bit at a time.

My question about modes: let's say you want to improvise lead guitar over a simple blues in G. When the progression moves to D-D7, would you then play in D mixolydian, reverting back to playing in G major when the progression goes back to the G chord? I *think* that's what I do, basically, when I improv leads in such cases, but I'm not sure. I've never really learned scales, and I just work from a D chord and hit whatever notes sound good.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic