>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Mood For A Day - Steve Howe/Yes

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
Lavallee

Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:37 pm

Well how about that, just ask for it and it came on a golden platter. Thank you so much Neil for putting this song up. I have been nibbling at it for years and what I was working on is certainly not as elegant as what you posted in the preview. Way more little finesse in the pull offs and different fingering as Walt mentioned. This is going to be in my every day that I play learning/workout session. I have been having major challenges in the run down, so I am looking forward to your precious advice.

Marc, the happy camper

Edit: I just watched it again and the sustaining of the notes is quite impressive in this fast pace song, fantastic playing, Neil

Lavallee

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:35 pm

familyman4 wrote:

I am courious about one thing though: when Neil does a lesson in pieces like this, how long is there between each post? Anyone???

Thanks again for the challenge! I Love TG....
Bart :woohoo:[/quote]

HI Bart, If I remember correctly it is once a week sometimes a little more sometimes a little less. (I like to be precise :) )

Marc

TGNeil

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:50 pm

Lavallee wrote:
familyman4 wrote:

I am courious about one thing though: when Neil does a lesson in pieces like this, how long is there between each post? Anyone???

Thanks again for the challenge! I Love TG....
Bart :woohoo:
HI Bart, If I remember correctly it is once a week sometimes a little more sometimes a little less. (I like to be precise :) )

Marc[/quote]

Since this part was relatively short, Part 2 will be up next week. The rest is still to be determined, based on a bunch of factors.

Neil

sbutler

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:48 pm

I've always been impressed with this song. I've never thought of myself as being able to play it though. I've tackled some of the 9.19 stuff, but I don't know about the 9.2 or more. The fingers that were introduced to table saws and other implements of distruction and severing, have a hard time with all those quick little pulloffs.

I will however, be more than willing to watch some of ya'lls uploads as you progresss.

9.4573 nahhh! Well maybe. :laugh:

AndyT

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:00 pm

What are you people living backwards? LOL I'm having trouble with the 3.2 stuff yet....
Love this though. I'll dream about having time to learn it one day.

unclewalt

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Well, if the 9 difficulty rating means to learn it to the point where you could play it with concert-level skill, as Neil says in this week's news, then "Mood For A Day" is *definitely* a 9, as are lots of other songs, including, for me, some of the 3's, probably. I can't play much of anything without making a mistake or two, or just hitting strings a little clumsily or something. That might be different if I ever actually wanted to play in public, but I don't. I'm a pretty sloppy player, really, though I try not to be. Part of that, no doubt, is because I'm almost entirely self-taught, or was before I joined up here.

And on songs like this, I take some shortcuts. Like, I don't bother with the tapping of the guitar, usually. And, just for instance, after the G and just before the runup to the B minor at the very beginning, I tend to take an extra beat because I just can't get myself to flow into it smoothly (though I'm still working on it). And the little runs after the B minor on the B and E strings are pretty much improvised, and different every time -- especially the second run on the E. My aim is to make it sound good the way I play it, not necessarily to do with precision all the little stuff Howe (and Neil, and not many other people) are able to do.

suziko

Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:48 pm

Walt (Dan?),

I'd love to see you post a video for review, as well. You've mentioned a few times playing Take on Me, and that is a song that i've been struggling with for a few months now. In particular, I have a hard time getting cleanly to the Bm7 in the penultimate measure of the intro. I'd be curious to see how you're dealing with it! Plus, you've been a member for so long, it'd be nice to put a face to a name.

Suzi

unclewalt

Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:48 am

suziko wrote:
Walt (Dan?),

I'd love to see you post a video for review, as well. You've mentioned a few times playing Take on Me, and that is a song that i've been struggling with for a few months now. In particular, I have a hard time getting cleanly to the Bm7 in the penultimate measure of the intro. I'd be curious to see how you're dealing with it! Plus, you've been a member for so long, it'd be nice to put a face to a name.

Suzi
Heh. That's another one I haven't played in forever. And it's one I struggled with a lot myself -- I think right at the same spot where you're having trouble. If I've been practicing a lot, I can get it, but it's tough. On that one, I also worked out a chord solo for the verses, which wasn't very hard at all. I'll have to scare up the tab for that and get it back into my fingers, along with Mood.

I'm not the biggest fan of taking videos of myself - I don't even like to be in photos. And as I said above, because I learned almost entirely on my own for 30+ years before coming here, I have a lot of idiosyncrasies, etc. that I won't be able to unlearn by being told the "right" way to play something. That said, I might make a video of something or other at some point. (Might just be my hands and the guitar, though!)

(Yep: Dan. The login name is a Whitman homage -- probably a dumb move for a site where I didn't know anyone personally.)

unclewalt

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:00 pm

suziko wrote:
Walt (Dan?),

Suzi
Heh. That's another one I haven't played in forever. And it's one I struggled with a lot myself -- I think right at the same spot where you're having trouble. If I've been practicing a lot, I can get it, but it's tough. On that one, I also worked out a chord solo for the verses, which wasn't very hard at all. I'll have to scare up the tab for that and get it back into my fingers, along with Mood.

I'm not the biggest fan of taking videos of myself - I don't even like to be in photos. And as I said above, because I learned almost entirely on my own for 30+ years before coming here, I have a lot of idiosyncrasies, etc. that I won't be able to unlearn by being told the "right" way to play something. That said, I might make a video of something or other at some point. (Might just be my hands and the guitar, though!)

(Yep: Dan. The login name is a Whitman homage -- probably a dumb move for a site where I didn't know anyone personally.)

beaker

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Walt, Who is Whitman Homage? ..... but yes, please do a vid even if it's only your hands and the guitar neck. Who cares if you have idiosyncrasies in your style? It would be great to see/hear you tackle some of these very challenging songs! Beaker.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic