>> Newest Target members only lesson - Fly On The Wall - Pentatonic Scales with Fred

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:31 am

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target members only lesson is a new Fly On The Wall.

In this lesson Fred mentioned that he had taken a look at some of the TG lessons on Pentatonic Scales and Patterns. He had a lot of good information but I realized there were some holes in the foundation and we worked on the relationship to Major Scales and a couple of different ways of tackling Pentatonic Patterns.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... -fred.html

familyman4

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:47 am

Ok so first: I have figured out now that there is more to each FOTW lesson for TARGET members by clicking on the link above the picture. I watched all 38 minutes (instead of 5:48) of this lesson and even though I already knew the pattern, after watching Neil explain it in this lesson, I have a better understanding of "why" this is called the #6 pattern & where the notes come from.

Secondly: Fred, THANK YOU very much for sharing your lesson time with Neil with the rest of us... I have picked up a lot of useful information by watching your series of lessons.

Fun times....
Bart

sbutler

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:53 pm

Bart, Fred is the best. He asks great questions, and every one of his lessons are really fitting of what I need personally. Stepping away from my multiple binders of practice songs, and getting back to theory, is exactly what I need.

So from me too, Thank you Fred.

Scott

willem

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:56 pm

Bart and Scott,,Fred is the greatest after Neil of course.. :laugh: B) I think Neil is aware of the holes in his lessons.. I have watched the lesson on this and coud'nt remember if Neil has called the patterns by number(I must watch it again),so this FOTW makes it more clear for me also,,so pattern 1 starts on the low G (6 string 3 fret)? well if we talking a bout the key Of G...?

Fred I hope you will be jamming in no time,,,looking forward to the following ups on this matter,,it makes so much really clear..

Willem

EDIT:: still many wonderings ,,if we talking a bout the key of C and we started on the open low E then we say this is pattern 3 ??

TGNeil

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:55 pm

willem wrote:
EDIT:: still many wonderings ,,if we talking a bout the key of C and we started on the open low E then we say this is pattern 3 ??
Great work Willem. You got it!

E is the third note of the C scale so Pattern 3 it is. The Pattern that would start on G would be Pattern 5, since G is the fifth note of the C scale.

Neil

Fred

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:55 pm

Bart, Scott & Willem;

Thanks for looking in and Scott, you nailed it when you said "step away form the binders of practice songs".....so for some background on my guitar career. I always wanted to play and be able to sing along. So my focus has, until fairly recently, been on "hey, I want to learn that song" because it appealed to me. Many of my lessons with Neil, and FOTW's, at least early on were "song" centered and Neil would break down the song and techniques. As time went on, Neil began adding theory - it may have related around progression intially, but it has grown over time. It did not take me long to realize that I sorely lacked thoery concepts. So back to the comment of - setting aside the practice song binder - I'm trying to get a theory sprinkled into my practices and thought pentatonic scales may be a good starting point.

So thanks again for looking in and I'm glad that some of the struggles that I'm having or lesson time with a song helps out in some way in this community.

Fred -

Willem - PS, I got a camera so maybe some uploads on my progress are not far off!

willem

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:14 pm

Thanks Neil...this FOTW pushed me directly thru the pentatonic scales and patterns lessons which I watched when they came out(long ago) I watched them now all V and it makes a lot clearer now,,much more then the first time...I sure watch them again...'cos a bit of jamming with friends looks just fine and maybe some lead melody improvising,, I really don't know wat happend that I not understood (than)why you called the patterns by numbers,,now its clear... well clear!!! I hope this FLOTW will have some follow ups ...thx

Fred ....I can't wait..well take just your time,,,what camera do you have??? need a editing program well I have AVS and just love it...but there are cameras they just upload at ones to the net...but i like a bit of editing with some text or adjust the tone a bit,,,,have fun..geee can't wait sport!!!

Willem

sbutler

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:22 pm

Fred wrote:
Bart, Scott & Willem;

Thanks for looking in and Scott, you nailed it when you said "step away form the binders of practice songs".....so for some background on my guitar career. I always wanted to play and be able to sing along. So my focus has, until fairly recently, been on "hey, I want to learn that song" because it appealed to me. Many of my lessons with Neil, and FOTW's, at least early on were "song" centered and Neil would break down the song and techniques. As time went on, Neil began adding theory - it may have related around progression intially, but it has grown over time. It did not take me long to realize that I sorely lacked thoery concepts. So back to the comment of - setting aside the practice song binder - I'm trying to get a theory sprinkled into my practices and thought pentatonic scales may be a good starting point.

So thanks again for looking in and I'm glad that some of the struggles that I'm having or lesson time with a song helps out in some way in this community. I feel ya dog :) Don't worry about the struggles, a lot of us are there too. My hope is that someday, (not to distant future) I can come down again and do another face to face lesson with Neil. When I do, I'll give you a shout and we can struggle together. :laugh:

Fred -

Willem - PS, I got a camera so maybe some uploads on my progress are not far off!

tombo1230

Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:39 pm

Fred I always enjoy your FOTW lessons and learn so much from them, so thanks for allowing us all to share in them.

Neil another great lesson, everything you explained was logical and crystal clear. I really enjoyed this.

Brilliant lesson!

Tom N.

Fred

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:45 am

Scott: Would love to get together...let me know when your next trip is!

Willem: A sony camcorder. I'm getting ready to do some testing...we'll see how it goes!

Tom: Thanks for the kind words - glad I can contribute to the TG community!

Best-

Fred

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic