>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Building A Mystery - Sarah McLachlan

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:15 am

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Building A Mystery is a song from Sarah McLachlan’s 1997 album Surfacing. At this point she was using a few alternate tunings and this one is done with the top two strings tuned down one step (E A D G A D). It is also capoed at the seventh fret, creating a very unique sound, particularly considering its common, repetitive chord progression. There are just enough embellishments and variations to make this a hauntingly beautiful song.

Enjoy this level 5 lesson.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

suziko

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:16 am

This looks great and I will definitely be learning it this week. Thank you, Neil!

Suzi

sbutler

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:18 pm

Go Suzi, Go. GO SUZI GO! :)

Scott

willem

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:58 pm

What a colorful sound,,,go SUZY,,,GO,GO...over two weeks would also be fine..

edit: I love ''angel'' also..

thereshopeyet

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:26 pm

Interesting Interview too

dtaylor

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:51 pm

If Nine Crimes and Cannonball had a baby it would sound like Building a Mystery, I wonder if there was any inspiration in there for Sarah McLachlan.

I'd been learning Fields of Gold and was just wondering if we'd have any more female artistes on the lesson list sometime.
Really great to be exposed to a song you've never heard before and immediately be eager to learn it.

Thanks for another beauty of a lesson.

Dean

michelew

Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:17 pm

Yeh!!!!!

It's a beautiful song. Ill be checking it out too.

Sarah is super cool too, in so many of the things she does. I love her music and Lilith Fair is awesome.

Thanks Neil

M.

dtaylor

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:03 am

When Neil goes over the tuning, he talks about another way to get to the same pitch as he does the lesson (with the capo at the 7th), being tuning the whole guitar down a whole step, then dropping the top two strings a further whole step and capo'ing at the 5th. Am I going nuts or am I right in thinking this won't get to the 'same' pitch? I am easily confused...

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:18 am

I hear you Dean! Not sure how it can be the same pitch (shouldn't that be key?).

What Neil is doing is tuning down the 1 & 2nd strings a whole step so he has the guitar tuned to EADGAD, then he's putting the caop on the 7th fret (BEADGB). So far so good.

He said she plays it live in one video capoed at 5 and she tunes it down another whole step additionally... that would make (GCFBbFG) which is same as putting the capo at 3....which doesn't make sense to me. if she capoed at 9 it would make sense as she tuned down 2 half steps and put the capo up 2 half steps, same same.

So I will join you in the remedial class on this one Dean (we may have been asleep in an important class!). I guess we just have to hold our hands up and wait for the enlightenment!

Sure is a nice song though...

willem

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:51 am

Hi Dean,,think a bout the normal tuning EADGBE than tune EADG one step down so it becomes DGCF,,,than the other BE two steps down so it becomes GC..now you have DGCFGC which becomes on the 5 fret GCFBbCF which is not the same pitch as the 7fret in my opnion,,just like you said,, but I'm easy confused too,,also I think Neil gives us a puzzle for being busy or to check him!!!

the tuning on the 7fret would be BEADGB..So GCFBbCF on the 5fret is not the same..

CHEERS...WHAT CAN WE WIN??

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic