>> Newest Target members only lesson - Fly On The Wall - Mood For A Day with Tom

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target members only lesson is a new Fly On The Wall.

Most of our members have probably seen some of Tom Varga’s uploads for review. He typically works on the complex instrumentals. On a recent visit to Northern California he dropped in for a lesson and we went over techniques he needed to work on to take his playing to the next level (levels really). In this lesson we talked about more efficient finger movement, ways to connect melody lines better (legato techniques), and overall strategies to retain pieces longer. His hour lesson is broken up into four parts.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... h-tom.html

willem

Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:00 pm

So Tom,,thats a suprise!! I think(I'm sure) that you got a lot of great teaching there that would make for you a super tune..I know your aware of your own mistakes,well we could'nt call it mistakes but i geuss you know what I mean...looking forward to your next upload which will take a while I geuss,,

although we can get also a lot out of this FLOTW I think its for everybody that works on it too something diffrent..

wish you a lot of fun with getting it down real good.

where was your own guitar..? :lol:

Willem

sbutler

Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:56 pm

YES, YES, YES, YES. I hear this song in my sleep. I wake up trying to play it in my head. For me,This is the most addictive lesson that has ever come out. Tom , the fine tuning you just got, is what I needed at the perfect time. I am at the phase where I pretty much have the entire tab committed to memory. Now its about cleaning it up. I'm not so worried about speeding it up, cause I've seen the results of slow mo play for several years now, and I know the speed comes later.
What a pleasant surprise for me and I hope for the others that may be working on this addictive song.

Thanks fella's. I needed this one.

Scott

tvarga

Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:08 pm

So, it turns out that my family lives about 3 miles from TG headquarters! :)
I don't get to visit out there that often, so I've been planning on doing so for quite a while and of course when I got there, I had to stop by to say hi to Neil.
He graciously set aside some time to chat and have a lesson on a Sunday. I had a great time talking about all things guitar.
He had asked if I'd mind if he would video the lesson for a possible 'fly on the wall'. Initially, I thought that I'd say no because it'd make me so nervous.
Well, I was somewhat, but now I'm incredibly happy that I went for it. The information and feedback he gave me was so profuse that I would never have remembered much of it.
I now look forward to watching my lesson over and over so that I can really take in all his suggestions. Hopefully it helps others who attempt to tackle this challenging song.
BTW, I didn't have my guitar with me so he let me play his prized possession. :)

So, I can't say enough how great an experience this was. If you ever get the chance to visit anywhere near Northern California, don't miss the chance to stop by and see Neil.
Better yet, take a lesson. It's really worth it.

-Tom

willem wrote:
So Tom,,thats a suprise!! I think(I'm sure) that you got a lot of great teaching there that would make for you a super tune..I know your aware of your own mistakes,well we could'nt call it mistakes but i geuss you know what I mean...looking forward to your next upload which will take a while I geuss,,

although we can get also a lot out of this FLOTW I think its for everybody that works on it too something diffrent..

Willem

willem

Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:37 pm

tvarga wrote:
So, it turns out that my family lives about 3 miles from TG headquarters! :)
I don't get to visit out there that often, so I've been planning on doing so for quite a while and of course when I got there, I had to stop by to say hi to Neil.
He graciously set aside some time to chat and have a lesson on a Sunday. I had a great time talking about all things guitar.
He had asked if I'd mind if he would video the lesson for a possible 'fly on the wall'. Initially, I thought that I'd say no because it'd make me so nervous.
Well, I was somewhat, but now I'm incredibly happy that I went for it. The information and feedback he gave me was so profuse that I would never have remembered much of it.
I now look forward to watching my lesson over and over so that I can really take in all his suggestions. Hopefully it helps others who attempt to tackle this challenging song.
BTW, I didn't have my guitar with me so he let me play his prized possession. :)

So, I can't say enough how great an experience this was. If you ever get the chance to visit anywhere near Northern California, don't miss the chance to stop by and see Neil.
Better yet, take a lesson. It's really worth it.

-Tom

willem wrote:

Willem
Nice Tom for light'n up the whole story,,I can imagine you were nervus but it turned out in a great experience(and you were doing just fine) which you never will forget,,the chance is very little for me to meet Neil so close but it would be interesting for all the things I think I learn here and hope not for a blackout then again goodluck and fun on the tune..

BobR

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:49 pm

Tom,

What a great experience that must have been. I am glad that you were willing to do the FOTW. Not that I will be tackling that piece any time soon, but who knows.

Great to see you.

Bob

Lavallee

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:02 am

Good for you Tom, you did a great on job playing the song, what a boost this lesson will be. I am looking forward to take some time and watch the 4 segments and hopefully learn it properly.

Marc

beaker

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:17 pm

Thanks Neil and Tom for the interesting lesson. Lot's of great tips in it! Tom, I am glad you got to do this in person lesson with Neil. I hope this pushes you to the next level! Beaker.

That was a very focused lesson!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic