>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - My Maria - B. W. Stevenson

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

My Maria was a hit for B. W. Stevenson in 1973 and again in 1996 when Brooks & Dunn covered it. It features a great opening lick and some syncopated strumming patterns with quick chord changes, along with some incredible vocals, which are a bit beyond the scope of this guitar lesson.

Enjoy this level 5 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

unclewalt

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:53 pm

Wow. I don't think I've thought about this tune since it came out -- and I *loved* it at the time, as a kid. (And I had no idea about the Brooks & Dunne version, since I ignore that kind of country music.)

Thanks to this, I also just learned in my quick research that Stevenson did a killer version of "Shambala," made famous by Three Dog Night.

TGNeil

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:11 pm

I don't think I mentioned it in the lesson but the Shambala connection is that Daniel Moore collaborated with B. W. on My Maria and wrote Shambala. The two versions were released nearly simultaneously, with B. W.'s coming out about 1 week before Three Dog Night's, which went on to be the bigger hit.

Neil

sbutler

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:47 pm

Man thats a great song. Now I have to figure out a chord solo, as I'll never be able to sing that :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

buddy

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:28 pm

unclewalt wrote:
Wow. I don't think I've thought about this tune since it came out -- and I *loved* it at the time, as a kid. (And I had no idea about the Brooks & Dunne version, since I ignore that kind of country music.)

Thanks to this, I also just learned in my quick research that Stevenson did a killer version of "Shambala," made famous by Three Dog Night.
Walt, How is it that you can possibly ignore country music :laugh:

Bud

unclewalt

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:33 pm

buddy wrote:
unclewalt wrote:

Walt, How is it that you can possibly ignore country music :laugh:

Bud
I don't ignore country music. In fact, I'm a rather fervent, diehard fan of country music. What I ignore is the supercommercialized, overproduced, focus-grouped, market-tested suburban pop that's been coming out of Nashville's corporate boardrooms for the past few decades. That's why I used the words "that kind."

Neil - yeah, I saw who the songwriter was and figured that was the case. Always something new to learn. I'm actually not sure which version I Iike better.

sbutler

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:00 pm

Just an FYI to all, this is yet another song off of the "Recommend a Lesson" link. So don't forget to go there every once in a while and add new songs or vote for ones that are already there. Neil does look.

Scott

dennisg

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:23 pm

Neil,

Now that you mention it, when I think about My Maria and Shambala, I can definitely hear a connection. Very interesting.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic