>> Newest Target members only lesson - Fly On The Wall - Been All Around This World with Kevin

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:03 am

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target members only lesson is a new Fly On The Wall.

The second part of our lesson finishing up Shady Grove went into the Jerry Garcia song Been All Around This World, a tune that appeared on a couple of early Grateful Dead albums and then resurfaced in later jams with David Grisman. We listened to it and figured out the chords and it gave me a good opportunity to point out some unusual phrasing and how understanding that can make a song easier to play and remember. By the end of the lesson we were sounding just like Jerry and Dave, although we didn’t go into the fact that the song is usually played in a different key and capoed. See if you can figure out where the optimal place to capo it would be and why.

Enjoy!

http://totallyguitars.com/target-songs/ ... kevin.html

beaker

Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:59 pm

Neil & Kevin, Great lesson!
Thanks. I love that song. Such a good, old timey feel. The Dead released this one on a couple albums, Bears Choice and Reckoning. Also released on Almost Acoustic with the Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band. This one will be in my repertoire for sure! thanks again. Beaker.

...... Well, an addition to this message of kudos.... This lesson spurred me into some research. I found this song (as Garcia or Grateful Dead played it, not necessarily as Garcia/Grisman played it) to be in the Key of C. I am guessing this is so that jerry can play a 5-4-6-4 moving bass line on the C chord. And because, all of the melody notes are easily accessible using hammer on's and pull offs to open strings. I admit i did some you tube cheating on this, and found 3 vids to refer to......

GD Radio City music hall 1980
Jerry/ Weir... Melkweg, Amsterdam 1981
Jerry/ John Kahn .... Vet's Memorial Aud, San Rafael Calif 1986

but i'm not a total cheater, I used my ears as well, and I first checked the key of G to see if that worked. It did, quite well actually, but it appears that is is not what jerry did (as far as I can tell).

Check out the video's if you have time, they are all VERY good! I absolutely love the Jerry Garcia/ John Kahn acoustic stuff from the mid 80's. That Veteran's Memorial video is a real treasure even though it is pretty low quality video.

Another amendment..... my research goes on....
I have found that on the Grateful Dead's Bears Choice & The Garcia/Grisman version , it is in C with a Capo @ 2nd fret. Resulting in the Key of D. (maybe this is a better mandolin Key?)

Thanks again, Neil and Kevin..... You guys inspired me into this!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic