>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Song For Adam - Jackson Browne

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:09 am

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Jackson Browne’s first album, Saturate Before Using got him on the radio in 1972 with Doctor My Eyes but many of his songs had already been recorded by artists like Tom Rush and Nico. His debut album also contained Song For Adam, a tune written after the death of his friend Adam Saylor. This lesson goes over the fingerpicking intro and chord progression to the verses and choruses, leaving the patterns somewhat open to improvising, the way Jackson would play it over the years. A solid foundation in alternate bass picking will make learning this song relatively easy.

Enjoy this level 5 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

familyman4

Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:23 am

I love Jackson Browne but I had never heard this song before today. What beautiful guitar playing. I need to listen to the words a little closer but I love that the song tells a story. Much like Harry Chapin (Taxi), and others from earlier times were able to do.

Thanks again....
Bart

drfuji

Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:51 am

One of my favorite Jackson Browne songs....just don't know if I can ever memorize all the verses......Gives me something to work on though...

Thanks

unclewalt

Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:36 pm

I love these out-of-left-field lessons on relative obscurities that happen to be favorites of mine. I listened incessantly to Browne's first several albums from about age 12 through high school and beyond. In public, I was all about The Who, The Stones, and later, The Clash, but alone in my room, I listened at least as much to Jackson Browne and Elton John.

Fun fact: the album actually isn't officially called "Saturate Before Using" (though of course everyone calls it that), but is eponymous. The cover is supposed to depict a water bag. Some people also thought it was called "Los Angeles, California" because it says that on the cover, too.

Music Junkie

Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:49 pm

What a classic song! Thanks so much for this lesson you guys. Jackson Browne is a favorite of mine, and I have been learning (VERY SLOWLY) to play "Something Fine", which is off of this same album. Like Walt mentions it is not REALLY titled Saturate Before Using, but the bag on the front had that label (it was used to cool goods back in the day by soaking in water and then letting it evaporate). Love those stories....lol

This album also has some other great tunes. Can't wait to take a peek at this lesson!

Thanks again!

J

thereshopeyet

Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:18 pm

Neil

Thanks for the Jackson Browne Lesson.
:laugh:

TGNeil

Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:00 pm

unclewalt wrote:
I love these out-of-left-field lessons on relative obscurities that happen to be favorites of mine. I listened incessantly to Browne's first several albums from about age 12 through high school and beyond. In public, I was all about The Who, The Stones, and later, The Clash, but alone in my room, I listened at least as much to Jackson Browne and Elton John.

Fun fact: the album actually isn't officially called "Saturate Before Using" (though of course everyone calls it that), but is eponymous. The cover is supposed to depict a water bag. Some people also thought it was called "Los Angeles, California" because it says that on the cover, too.
Hey Walt,

This brings up an interesting side trip, albums commonly called by unofficial titles. This lesson was the first time I ever referred (or even considered referring) to this album as 'Saturate Before Using.' It was a tongue-in-cheek dig at a few things that can remain speculative.

Albums where the title is not obvious were put out by The Beatles, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, all big enough to not really matter but who remembers First Pull Up Then Pull Down, Storia Di Un Minuto or Per Un Amico?

Fun stuff,

Neil

Music Junkie

Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Neil:

It just seems that artists don't do that kind of stuff anymore. I miss the days of having a large sized album cover to hold and look through while listening to the great music (sometimes searching for hidden items you had heard about through the rumor mill)... ;)

unclewalt

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:30 pm

TGNeil wrote:
unclewalt wrote:

Hey Walt,

This brings up an interesting side trip, albums commonly called by unofficial titles. This lesson was the first time I ever referred (or even considered referring) to this album as 'Saturate Before Using.' It was a tongue-in-cheek dig at a few things that can remain speculative.

Albums where the title is not obvious were put out by The Beatles, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, all big enough to not really matter but who remembers First Pull Up Then Pull Down, Storia Di Un Minuto or Per Un Amico?

Fun stuff,

Neil
It will remain speculative indeed. I can't even imagine what you might be talking about, but OK!

I know there are other examples besides The White Album, "ZoSo" and the Floyd albums (I guess you mean Dark Side, Animals, and Wish You Were Here, since they didn't bear the titles on the sleeve?) But I can't think of the others offhand.

Oh, wait, Peter Gabriel had a couple. One eponymous one was popularly referred to as "Melt," though I'm not positive I have that entirely right. But the others escape me.

Update: I looked it up. It was his first three solo albums, all named "Peter Gabriel," like George Foreman's sons. They were referred to as "Car," "Scratch," and "Melt" (or "Melting Face"), all based on the cover art.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:11 am

I really like Jackson Browne and his socially/politically critical songs. This one has a lovely melody to it and I love a story told in song.

Walt, thanks for making me look up a new word: eponymous!

On album covers: It would be a good marketing idea to release CDs inside an old fashioned-sized album cover with all the cover art and bells and whistles... those were the days when you'd take one home and deliciously discover all the treasures on the album and cover/inlays/leaves.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic