>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Midnight At The Oasis - Maria Muldaur

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Tue May 07, 2013 10:35 am

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Maria Muldaur burst on the solo scene in 1973 after a few years in New York with The Even Dozen Jug Band and other old-timey, swing folks like Dan Hicks. Midnight At The Oasis was on her first album and remains her biggest hit by far. The song features some jazzy chords and syncopated strumming patterns that will make it pretty challenging for most guitar players. The lesson breaks the changes down measure-by-measure and even beat-by-beat.

Enjoy this level 7 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

kelemenj

Tue May 07, 2013 9:17 pm

Wow! What a great forgotten (by me anyway) song! I thought this was Joni. Cool jazzy vibe and excellent vocal phrasing! It makes me want to watch Casablanca again. Another song that would have flown under my radar if not for
Neil.
Thanks Bro,
John

thereshopeyet

Thu May 09, 2013 10:20 am

Neil

You always bring out the best in acoustic guitar sound.
This looks like a great lesson

Thanks for sharing

Dermot

:)

neverfoundthetime

Thu May 09, 2013 3:49 pm

What a cool song and how much fun does that look like to play around with! Having checked the original, I realise it was one I remember well from way back then. An unexpected addition to what is becoming an astonishingly rich bank of first class lessons. Thanks for the inspiration Neil!

dtaylor

Fri May 10, 2013 11:44 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
What a cool song and how much fun does that look like to play around with! Having checked the original, I realise it was one I remember well from way back then. An unexpected addition to what is becoming an astonishingly rich bank of first class lessons. Thanks for the inspiration Neil!
Hear hear!
I think this is the first song on the site which contains all the elements on show here, that syncopated rhythm is so catchy. Who's going to volunteer to do the vocals on an upload...? B)

mark

Tue May 14, 2013 9:30 am

I notice when I strum the chords to this song, that I have sometimes have some open string notes ringing when I change chords.
Very much like you would if you strumming open chords.

Should I be trying to keep everything quite during the chord changes for this kind of strumming?

TGNeil

Tue May 14, 2013 2:02 pm

mark wrote:
I notice when I strum the chords to this song, that I have sometimes have some open string notes ringing when I change chords.
Very much like you would if you strumming open chords.

Should I be trying to keep everything quite during the chord changes for this kind of strumming?
Mark,

Good question. In this song when you are going from a barre to another barre the noise between chords should be completely percussive, not releasing contact with the strings but lightening up to kill them. The chords with altered bass notes (Gb/Ab, also could be considered 11th chords) should have the 1st and 5th strings muted with the left hand as you strum them.
Going to/from one to the other (barre-11th either way) might have some open notes ring during the change but it should be minimal, or at least stopped as you place the next chord down.

My advice is play it loud and percussively, with left hand muting on the 11ths and you'll be OK.

Neil

mark

Wed May 15, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks for the quick reply

Yes it was going between the barre chords and the chords with the altered bass that I was getting some open string noise - just on the last 16th note when changing chords.
I wont worry about it

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic