>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Murder In The City - Avett Brothers

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Mon May 20, 2013 11:25 am

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

From The Avett Brothers 2008 EP, The Second Gleam, Murder In The City is a really pleasant picking and strumming tune. It is played in the key of C, using a capo up the neck a bit, as well as a second guitar capoed higher. The lesson covers the chord progression, a couple of different ways of playing the intro, and the key for a second guitar part.

Enjoy this level 3 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

unclewalt

Mon May 20, 2013 1:29 pm

I like this tune. I've really been getting into all these folky pop bands - your Avetts and your Mumfords and your Monsterses and Menses. Glad to see so many lessons for them here.

FYI - the tab seems to have been posted twice, and there's no chart.

TGNeil

Mon May 20, 2013 1:42 pm

unclewalt wrote:
I like this tune. I've really been getting into all these folky pop bands - your Avetts and your Mumfords and your Monsterses and Menses. Glad to see so many lessons for them here.

FYI - the tab seems to have been posted twice, and there's no chart.
I have been thinking the same thing, finding lots of cool contemporary, roots, folksy stuff. Thanks for the heads up on the attachment, my mistake and it is fixed now.

Neil

unclewalt

Mon May 20, 2013 3:04 pm

Also, your Lumineerses and your Dawses. And others.

In certain circles, it's supposedly the opposite of hip to like this stuff, but whenever I ask for the reasons people say they "suck," they never have a good one. Just that they suck. Sometimes they say something about how "inauthentic" they are, which makes me wonder whether we should expect the Mumford boys to have lived in a shack on the western moors, or to have worked in a Newcastle coal mine, before they were allowed to make a record. It also makes me wonder whether the detractors demanded the same "authenticity" of Bob Dylan, the nice, middle-class Jewish boy who told everyone in NY that he had just hopped off a freight train from Oklahoma after touring with Lightnin' Hopkins (or another of his many lies).

I find that the detractors fall into two camps: if younger, they're just run-of-the-mill hipsters who can't like anything anyone's ever heard of. If older, they seem resentful that younger people are taking up The Band's mantle. They generally didn't do that with earlier alt-country stuff, like Uncle Tupelo or the Bottle Rockets, I guess because they were younger themselves. It comes off like sour grapes.

I think it's great that more kids are listening to this kind of stuff, and less to corporate, autotuned rap/R&B/Disney/American-Idol music, or corporate cawk rawk.

suziko

Mon May 20, 2013 4:25 pm

I'm also enjoying some of the rootsy, folksy modern tunes you've put up. Swept Away is another really lovely Avett Bros song that would make a nice beginner lesson.

Is it too much to hope for a lesson on a Decemberists song? Their 2012 release The King is Dead had tons of great, acoustic-rock songs. Even a few that have been put up here on TG as busking tunes! :)

Suzi

lueders

Mon May 20, 2013 4:29 pm

suziko wrote:

Is it too much to hope for a lesson on a Decemberists song? Their 2012 release The King is Dead had tons of great, acoustic-rock songs. Even a few that have been put up here on TG as busking tunes! :)

Suzi[/quote]

Hmmm...I know this nice red-haired lady form Wisconsin that does a pretty durn good job with their material. :) :) :) :) :)

unclewalt

Mon May 20, 2013 5:24 pm

If we're voting, I'd ask for just about anything by Iron & Wine. Along the same general lines, but not really the same, and he's been around longer. And frankly, he's way better than most of these other bands, much as I like them. (It's one of those "bands" that's actually just one dude -- Sam Beam -- who sometimes plays with others.) This would be a good one:

Or this:

But there are so many to choose from, including later ones with full band. The tabs I've found online - last I looked, anyway -- are substandard.

suziko

Mon May 20, 2013 5:40 pm

Actually, here's another guy I'd love to see covered- Darrell Scott. He's just awesome:

dtaylor

Mon May 20, 2013 6:34 pm

Damn Suzi, he's good. We don't get much like that around here...

tombo1230

Tue May 21, 2013 12:45 am

Very cool singer/player. This guy is great!

Put a song from this guy up for recommend a lesson and I will vote for it.

Thanks for posting Suzi. :)

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic