>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - More Fool Me - Genesis

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:12 am

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

From one of the landmark albums of the classic progressive rock period, Selling England By The Pound by Genesis, More Fool Me was more of a guitar/vocal duet between Mike Rutherford and Phil Collins rather than a full on band tune. The song featured a 12-string in a very unusual tuning and the song can’t really be played in standard, although a 6-string in the altered tuning does a reasonable job. The lesson does not go into a note-by-note explanation as much as just showing the chords and a few accompaniment ideas. A good feel for strumming patterns and arpeggio-type fills is necessary to tackle this song.

Enjoy this level 7 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

Music Junkie

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:21 am

Not familiar with this song, but I liked what I heard. Also, super glad that the 12-string made an appearance.... Hopefully there will be more.... :)

Jason

sbutler

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:27 pm

Wow Neil, that was a complete surprise. What a cool sound.

So now that we know you like Phil Collins, we should probably put in a request for "Without a Trace" eh? :) :) :)

Have a great weekend Neil.
Scott

TGNeil

Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:27 pm

Scott,

Glad you liked this one but not sure I'd be in the Collins fan camp. They lost me with Follow You Follow Me and the string of stuff that followed the pop formula. Never stuck with Peter Gabriel for much the same reason either.

On another note, any suggestions for other 12-string songs might get bumped into the queue as I have it for a little while.

Neil

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:55 pm

Wow, 12 strings! Sure was smart of you not to go to G# but tune the rest down Neil... that G octave string is pretty thin and breaks quite easily... which is why you did what you did, of course! Your hands handle the 12 so easily but I was happy to hear some ever-so-slightly stunted sounds when you barred right up the neck ;-)... it would have been depressing if you'd have got all notes to ring out like bells up there... and now I feel less like a Wally as I find it so hard to keep the notes clean barring the 12!

thereshopeyet

Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Neil

I liked early Genesis too.

But didn't care for the Follow Me Follow You ( it played on Juke Boxes forever too !!!) and beyond, either.

I struggle with 6 String never mind 12 string guitar.
More Fool Me for thinking I was musical in anyway..... but I keep trying.
:ohmy:

I'm not even sure I'd know if a 12 string was being played.... is it easy to hear the difference?

I had a look for 12 String guitar songs and came across this link.....

The Top 30 12-String Guitar Songs of All Time

I recognise a lot of these songs but wouldn't have known they were playing 12 Strings !

Dermot

Edit

So what's the defining sound of a 12 String Guitar?
:S

abiliog

Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi Neil,
Now, this is a great surprise :)
One more to the must learn list :cheer:
Abilio

skaladar

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:07 pm

Wow, this is a pleasant surprise. It’s nice to see the 12-string and all, even if it is only going to be around for a while, but my surprise (and delight) is at the song/artists choice. I’m happy to see your prog rock side showing Neil. “Foxtrot”, “Selling England by the Pound” and “The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway” are three of my all-time favorite albums so it’s especially nice to see Genesis make its debut on the lesson list. I was happy to see Greg Lake’s work from his ELP days when I joined and nearly fell of my chair when King Crimson’s “Epitaph” became a lesson and this is an excellent addition to that genre. I know it must be extremely difficult to make lessons out of most prog rock because it’s often so abstract and … well, progressive. I really appreciate the effort. Just seeing this has made me relive a decade or two of good memories.

Great lesson … Thanks!

♫ Ken ♫

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:24 pm

So what's the defining sound of a 12 String Guitar?
Well, apart from that jangling sound generally, I'd say its the octave G string which gives it the 12 string sound, Dermot. That's why Roger McGuinn of the Byrds had Martin knock him up a 7 string just by adding the G octave.

"Its more like a Swiss Army Knife than a guitar" -Roger McGuinn

Music Junkie

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:33 pm

Neil:

I would love to see some Gentle Giant.... They have a couple of songs that are great for a 12 string.....

Friends:

Thank You:

Let's keep the prog rock rolling.... :)

Jason

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic