>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Jar Of Hearts - Christina Perri

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:42 am

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Jar Of Hearts is the debut single of American singer/songwriter Christina Perri and it appeared on her EP, the ‘Ocean Way Sessions’, as well as her first album, ‘Lovestrong’.

It’s a beautiful yet fairly simple piano song in 4/4 time and in this lesson we take a look at how to play it on the guitar. The song is in the keys of Eb and Cm and by capoing the guitar at the third fret and putting it in the keys of C and Am, it is very doable, since most chords will be open. We will also get into some of the little melody lines, which you can hear in the piano playing, and how to incorporate them into the guitar accompaniment. There are a few tricky chord shapes in the bridge, but it is definitely a very worthwhile song to learn. There are also a few thoughts on the dynamics of the song, which are very important when performing any musical piece.

Enjoy this level 3 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

lmc831

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:59 pm

Pretty Song! You make it look so easy! My fingers are not as limber as yours anymore, so I know some of those chords will be impossible for me. But, still a pretty song!

Lisa

suziko

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:32 pm

Great lesson, Ness, on a very pretty song! I might dumb it down a bit and play it campfire-style, but I'm still super happy to have this in my repertoire.

By the way, one minor mistake on your chord sheet: On the bridge, the first line of chords should be played 4x, NOT 2x as is written. You've got it accurately noted in the tab, just not on the chord sheet.

Great job!

Suzi

AcousticAl

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:50 pm

Thanks so very much Lisa and Suzi!!! :cheer: And yeah, I do find it a pretty song as well, and campfire-style would work just fine as well! ;)

Thanks for the 'spot the slip' Suzi, I'll fix it of course! :S :)

suziko

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Cheers :) And that's my proof that I actually strummed through this song this afternoon with your play-through. I got to the bridge and was like, "Whaaaa?" :laugh:

Suzi

suziko

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:58 pm

Whahaha!! You crack me up! :laugh: :laugh:

Love to hear that you've played it! :cheer:

suziko wrote:
Cheers :) And that's my proof that I actually strummed through this song this afternoon with your play-through. I got to the bridge and was like, "Whaaaa?" :laugh:

Suzi

thereshopeyet

Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:52 pm

Interesting lesson Vanessa, thanks.
Great guitar and singing.

I haven't heard her music before.

I think the studio video of her singing at the piano more emotional than the
video version, which I think seems softer.

Dermot

michelew

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:56 pm

What a beautiful song. I hadn't heard it until recently.

Nessa I love the way you've been making predominately piano songs assessable/doable on the guitar for us. Not only does it allow us to learn these lovely songs, but it should also allow us to adapt them for ourselves the more we see how you've approach it; for example transposing it into a guitar friendly key and then using a capo, which allows us to play it in C and Am in this instance and still get the desired sound.

I'm looking forward to giving this a look see when I get the chance. The teaser sure has whet my appetite.

Thanks for another beautiful song lesson.

Shel

familyman4

Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:07 am

Nice lesson Ness!

This is a song that my daughter can sing while I play the guitar. Thanks! I am always looking for songs we can do together...

Bart

lueders

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:49 am

Beautiful song(not that I'd know but this must be a bear to sing)...looks to be another HOME RUN lesson, Vanessa.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic