>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Highwayman - Jimmy Webb

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Like most songs by Jimmy Webb, Highwayman became better known by other artists. In this lesson we go over Glen Campbell’s 1979 version and the version that named the group The Highwaymen, an occasional gathering of Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings. There is a segment to listen and try to figure out yourself, as well as segments on strumming it like The Highwaymen and fingerpicking it like Glen Campbell. The fingerpicking arrangement is not covered very specifically other than the intro, so a bit of proficiency in Travis Picking is necessary.

Enjoy this level 5 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

Music Junkie

Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:04 pm

Ha, that was great! I worked up a transcription for the Highwaymen version a couple of years ago, and it seems exactly the same. The descending base line tripped me up a little bit on the 3rd and 4th verses, mostly because I am horrible with my pinky, and trying to get the C# kills me.... :( Thanks for pointing out the little intro, that is a very nice addition.

I have also worked up transcriptions for Americans Remains and Silver Stallion by the Highwaymen. Fun songs as well.

As a side note, I think the album you might have been referring to by Jiimmy Webb was Just Across the River. I am not positive about that, but that album has P.F. Sloan with Jackson Browne on it, and I believe it has the Mark Knopfler tune on it as well.....

Thanks again!

Jason

suziko

Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:25 pm

Thanks for introducing me to this great song, Neil! I downloaded the Glenn Campbell version today from iTunes and am planning to play through it tomorrow. It's not really a "girl" song, so to speak, but I will still enjoy playing it :)

Suzi

sbutler

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:36 pm

suziko wrote:
Thanks for introducing me to this great song, Neil! I downloaded the Glenn Campbell version today from iTunes and am planning to play through it tomorrow. It's not really a "girl" song, so to speak, but I will still enjoy playing it :)

Suzi
Suzi, maybe you could create a chord solo :laugh: :laugh: , because it truly ISN'T a "girl song". Well maybe I'll edit my own post and say, It is a good song, and you will do it proud. So I know you'll make it your own.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic