>> Newest Target members only lesson - Fly On The Wall - Performance Anxiety with Sandy

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:02 am

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target members only lesson is a new Fly On The Wall.

Sandy and I started talking about why things go better when no one is listening, which led into all kinds of philosophical and analytical stuff along the lines of general mindset when practicing, playing, and performing. This turned into a discussion some folks might find interesting and would even like to comment on.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... sandy.html

Music Junkie

Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:19 pm

That was very interesting. I can only say that I freak out very easily, and WISH that I could get that 70% or even 100%. On rare, quite occasions, I can get in a groove and feel so comfortable. Other times I wonder why I am punishing myself by trying to learn this instrument. :woohoo:

thereshopeyet

Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:38 pm

Neil and Sandy

Thanks for another fun video.

Dermot

willem

Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:07 pm

When the eyes of the audiens look at you thats scary??,,,they want something from you!!!,,before you have to walk through the stage you have nerves,,1000 things goes through your head,,then you take the walk and they applaud(you did'nt play anything yet),,you welcome them and start of with a knowing tune by them and they applaud and wishtle etc ,,they go out of there mind,,,you don't listen to that,,you just play your tune,,you wrote it so you know it the best..then the ice is broken,,then you play your show.............pffff that said!!!

I can't do it, I mess up every tune if I must do it alone,,I am a play along guy and do my best..

Wllem

sbutler

Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:48 pm

Well I for one only practice the lessons that Neil tells us "Now I don't expect you to play this note for note, because James Taylor never plays it the same way twice". That way it could never be wrong. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Scott

fjeanmur

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:57 am

What a good topic to bring out for discussion! As one who freaks at even the thought of someone listening, it's good to know that this idea of perfection can be almost impossible to achieve. I can feel Sandy's pain, but Neil? I think we tend to believe that the pros have it nailed and are not affected by other people watching. Sandy' iPhone idea was good and Neil's suggestion about trying for that 100% once in a while was something I never thought of. But bottom line I think that having heard these "true confessions" might help me relax a little and accept those mistakes as being a normal part of playing. Thanks Sandy for the lesson and thanks Neil for being the true mentor that you are.

Jean

kelemenj

Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:16 pm

Very interesting. I sure could relate. Probably not an ideal solution, but for me, the nerves can be held at bay somewhere between beer #3 and beer #5. After a while experience can take over and eliminate that crutch.
John

heithoff

Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:07 pm

I't was comforting watching this! It is soo easy playing a song well from start to finish while in your lazy boy chair, but God forbid introduce a stranger in ear shot and the brain goes into a different mode. If public speaking is the number one phobia then this is a very close second. You know that people EXPECT it to be perfect each and every time. A quote that I like goes like this; Recording is Gods way of letting you know you suck! We are our own worse critic!!! Thank you Neil you are absolutely correct, keep moving the song along and don't worry about a bobble or two.

wrench

Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:29 pm

kelemenj wrote:
Very interesting. I sure could relate. Probably not an ideal solution, but for me, the nerves can be held at bay somewhere between beer #3 and beer #5. After a while experience can take over and eliminate that crutch.
John
I tried that and it worked great! :cheer:

But then came the bladder problems. :blush:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic