>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Both Sides Now - Joni Mitchell

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
tgjameela

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:25 am

Hi Everyone,

Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release is now live.

Both Sides Now was a hit for Judy Collins before Joni Mitchell released her own version in 1969 on her album Clouds. The song is done in Open D Tuning with a capo at the fourth fret and only uses a couple of simple chord shapes. The challenge with this song is to get the subtle chord changes in the right place. The lesson includes a ‘Chord Challenge’ segment for a little theory work and the attached tab only shows the rhythm of the changes, so listening and watching carefully are very important here.

Enjoy this level 4 lesson!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... esson.html

Music Junkie

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:46 am

Great old song... I know Suzi will be happy... :) I think she had taken a peek at this tune some time ago.

I love open tunings.

Jason

suziko

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:50 am

I was on vacation last week and am just now catching up on some of the great lessons that recently got put up. Yes, MJ, I was super excited to see this!! It's one of my favorite Joni songs and I didn't make much progress when I tried figuring it out on my own a few years back. But I sat down this morning and mostly learned it (thanks to Neil's lesson). The open D tuning is so pretty- and I'm happy to see that Big Yellow Taxi is also in open D, so I'll probably learn that now, too.

Suzi

suziko

Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:42 pm

Wow, learning Both Sides Now made learning Big Yellow Taxi a snap!! Most of the chord shpes are the same, save for the barre chords! Now I need more open D tuning songs!!

Suzi

Edit: How convenient! "Buckets of Rain" is also in open D.

michelew

Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 pm

I was also really pleased to see this lesson. Thanks Neil!

I've been meaning to get into the Joni Mitchell lessons much more than I have to date. I keep getting distracted by other new shinies. :)

Suzi thanks for the open D song references. Once I'm in a tuning I prefer to keep it there and switch between songs in that tuning. I've really been enjoying playing in open G; Longer and Open G Noodle :). So I'm sure open D will be fun too. Ow! I neeed another guitar. :)

Joni is cool.

Thanks.

M

thereshopeyet

Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:59 am

:ohmy:

I missed this lesson, sounds interesting.

Thanks

:)

thereshopeyet

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:01 am

Okay.... silly question coming up..... :S

This song looks like it's in the key of D, chords 1, 4 and 5 D, G and A

I want to consider the chord names without looking to the answer section but can't get my head around the tuning change and keys within that tuning?

If your in Open D Tuning ..... are you always in the key of D?

:blush:

suziko

Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:05 am

I wouldn't think so! Imagine you play a song that is G,C and D. You could play that on a guitar in open D tuning and it'd still be a song in the key of G, even though the chords shapes would be different. For example you could play the D as just all open strings, barre at the 5th for G and barre at the 10th for C- though I'm sure there'd be a better shape for that chord than a barre at the 10th, I just don't know what it is.

The open D tuning just allows for a really nice sounding D and makes it so you can barre entire frets for other chords. It doesn't dictate that all songs are in the key of D. Same would go for open G.

I'm not an expert- just going on what I know about theory. And maybe I'm wrong! Others feel free to chime in.

Suzi

thereshopeyet

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:17 am

Suzi

Thanks for your comments.

I suppose by changing the open string tuning that changes the chromatic scales of each string.
As you suggest, this would only change the chord shapes but not the key.
:blush:

I suppose the key is determined by the chord progression and note / chord the tune resolves to.

I like the open tuning songs I've tried.

I've had fun learning Question which used Open C tuning but don't think I'll ever get super fast strumming sorted :ohmy:

As you say, the open string chord has a cool sound.

Thanks

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic