Picking problem "If you could read my mind"

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
vlawson177109

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:59 am

Hi
I'm really struggling with the picking pattern at measures 20-23. I can't make it out from the video. Can anyone help out?
Thanks

dtaylor

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:44 am

Can't you work it out from the tab or guitar pro?

This is another lesson that lays it on thick about making it your own, play 8 eighth notes per measure and it shouldn't matter what they are.

Thanks for reminding me about a great lesson though.

Dean

TGNesh

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:57 am

What exactly is giving you troubles?

I think Neil does explain this part. Did you buy the lesson?

vlawson177109

Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi
Yes I bought the lesson. I've only had the lesson for a day and have not progressed beyond measure 23. I think I've finally sort of worked it out but it's not flowing as well as I'd like. Main issue now is eg. the final G C in measure 20 and the final G B in measure 21. My inclination is to use p p each time, but this seems to go against what Neil is saying. I'm new here from classical technique, (fairly low level) and the picking patterns Neil suggests don't fall naturally yet under my fingers. Much work to be done here. I HAVE been experimenting with different things.
Many thanks for replies - I'll stick with it. Great lesson - I'll definitely buy more. This site was an accidental, but lucky find for me.

TGNesh

Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:59 pm

Ah indeed a lucky find! Happened to me as well couple of years ago, I never left after that! ;)

I can only really encourage you to go with Neil's suggestions on this one. I know the song quite well, which I've learned to play here at TG. And it just takes a little while, when it doesn't fall naturally, but it'll indeed happen when you stick to it.

Good luck and let us know about your progess! :)

vlawson177109 wrote:
Hi
Yes I bought the lesson. I've only had the lesson for a day and have not progressed beyond measure 23. I think I've finally sort of worked it out but it's not flowing as well as I'd like. Main issue now is eg. the final G C in measure 20 and the final G B in measure 21. My inclination is to use p p each time, but this seems to go against what Neil is saying. I'm new here from classical technique, (fairly low level) and the picking patterns Neil suggests don't fall naturally yet under my fingers. Much work to be done here. I HAVE been experimenting with different things.
Many thanks for replies - I'll stick with it. Great lesson - I'll definitely buy more. This site was an accidental, but lucky find for me.

dekotaj

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:11 am

Yes Sir. I got to looking at the tab Neil has on the lesson.I'm not sure I under stand your question on measures 20,21,22. The picking pattern looks to stay the same as all the other measure. Measure 23 has only 7 notes and not eight. With the ;last note being a f# on the D chord. I think this is wrong.Neil dose not play this note on the lesson. I would play the 23 measure with the same pattern as the rest and drop the f# in this measure. This should take you into the interlude just fine. Hope this helps???

Kev

TGNesh

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:45 am

This song has a very free form way of playing it, Neil does explain those measures in the 'Vocals Parts', at around 05.40. Also the F# in the bass is correct, which he explains in that part as well. And yes, he does play it in the play along. ;) However, lots of variations are optional.

dekotaj

Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:39 pm

Yes Ness. You are right. Once again my typing is not as good as I would like.

So let me try again. (This song has a very free form way of playing it,) yes it dose. Thats was my point. Once again I'm sure I said it wrong. Thinking if they would just drop the F# and play the D like the other measure it would be just fine. And that was the help I was trying to explain. So thank you very much for helping me explain it in a better way. ( I HOPE )..

Kev

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic