>>New Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Down By The Water - The Decemberists

What we have so far, new songs added weekly!
TGNesh

Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:53 am

Thanks so much Bart! :) :) And you're SO right, great song for setting around with friends, in particular when meeting up with Suzi and Cori, great great times!! :cheer: :cheer:

I thought Cori's mandoline was just great!! :woohoo: And yeah, it was nice to add some harmonica when playing this by myself, very glad you've enjoyed it! Actually working on the next one, which is nót so easy, guitar and harmonica at the same time :S ....but we'll see! B)

And really, lóts and lots of songs in my play list aren't hard songs, I LOVE campfire-like songs! ;)

Thanks again Bart!

Ness

familyman4 wrote:
The play through is attached now and it was great! What a fun song for setting around with friends. Smoking a good cigars, drinking a few barley pops & and watching a fire burn... :)

The harmonica adds a lot to the song. Thanks for adding it to your play through!

Isn't it great that every song in a persons "play list" doesn't have to be a hard song to make it enjoyable :)

Thanks for the lesson...
Bart

TGNesh

Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:02 pm

Willem: Thanks Willem, I indeed do my best on those play throughs and would really like to add them whenever possible or within my range, so I'm very happy to hear you like those! :)

Michele and Suzi: Gosh you're such sweeties!! :cheer: :cheer: Very glad you liked the harp-playing, it is really nice to add it whenever possible, it does kinda belong in the song (like Doolin' Dalton) and by now i got a pretty nice collection of harps, haha! Will need them for June Hymn too. And yeah, Sue, I can never ever listen to the Decemberists without thinking of you, since you got me into them in the first place, I still very much love to listen to their albums, and it's really great to add some of their songs to TG. You're right Shel, it's amazing what you can do with just a few chords, I love that! Thanks my sweet friends! :kiss:

Ness

thereshopeyet

Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:51 pm

Thanks.

TGNesh

Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:20 pm

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:!!!!

Good to hear from you Dermot and also that you got three out of four chords, which one gave you troubles?

Very glad you like my lessons! :cheer:

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hello Vanessa

Sorry, I didn't look at your lesson - Down By The Water - The Decemberists - until tonight
as I didn't want to start it and get distracted. It's quiet tonight :)

What a great lesson and although I've watched Neils Work It Out Lessons, I'm not that successful at them.
So starting with a basic one is good for me.

I spent a good bit of time listening and have to say I heard all the chord except one which for some reason
I struggled to identify, even when it was revealed :blush:

The other dressing up :dry: :ohmy: :P suggestions are great, thanks, you put together a cool lessons.

Your great on the harmonica, are you going to do a lesson on it too sometime as a guitar complementary section? :)
That would be amazing.

I notice from the other post I arrived along when the Play Through had been added.

I noticed beside the Pdf attachment there's a downloadable harmonica and neck holder. ;) ;)
Maybe you could speak to whoever sorted the play though to get those downloads working too !!!!

:laugh: :laugh:
:ohmy:

Thanks again for a fun lesson :)

Dermot

BigBear

Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:44 pm

This group are my homies!! Local kids who have done well for themselves. Colin Meloy is actually from Montana but the group calls Portland home. It's nice to get one of their songs. :cheer:

TGNesh

Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:31 pm

Aaaah of course, your homies indeed!! :cheer:

I absolutely lóve their music, so DBTW won't be the last one! Need to practice the harp though! ;)

BigBear wrote:
This group are my homies!! Local kids who have done well for themselves. Colin Meloy is actually from Montana but the group calls Portland home. It's nice to get one of their songs. :cheer:

thereshopeyet

Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:46 pm

Thanks.

TGNesh

Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:46 pm

Haha! Don't know about that, just next time, try to not only listen, but also try to think of which chords you could expect. If you already got the Em, G, D....what would be logical to fit in there as well? I'm sure you know at least the major and relative minor chordprogressions, right?

When I listen to a new song and try to figure it out, I always have the key in mind. Sure you gotta work out what key it's in, what's the main chord etc. first. It does help a lot! ;)

thereshopeyet wrote:
Vanessa Wrote:
Good to hear from you Dermot and also that you got three out of four chords, which one gave you troubles?

Very glad you like my lessons!
It was the C major, I picked it up as going back to the Em !!!
My ears need tuning !!!

:S

thereshopeyet

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:50 pm

Thanks.

TGNesh

Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:58 am

So you never played for example 'Heart of Gold'??? :dry:

And yes, its in the key of Em, why did you change to thinking it was in G? However, they have the same keysignature.....when it comes down which chords, it doesn't really matter...

So what's not to understand?

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hello Vanessa

I thought it was in the key of Em, as it started and resolved to Em.

The chords in the key of Em are: Emin F#dim Gmaj Amin Bmin Cmaj Dmaj

So the progression would be 1, 3, 6, 7, .......1, 7, 1, 1 :blush: :S

Vanessa Wrote:
I'm sure you know at least the major and relative minor chord progressions, right?
Well, now I don't think I do as I've never seen a progression with the 7 chord in it.

So although I knew some the chords, I didn't really get the whole picture !!!

:blush: :blush:
:S

Edit
So it's in the key of G
Gmaj Amin Bmin Cmaj Dmaj Emin F#dim

Starting and reslolving on the relative minor, Em ?
6, 1, 5, 4 ......... 6, 5, 6, 6

I'm not sure I really understand it !
Not really sure what the rule of thumb is here !

:blush:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic